Using query layers in Operations Dashboard

10-10-2018 01:01 PM
patrickb
Esri Contributor
0 6 2,285

Through our GeoNet community, Support and other communication channels, we answer many questions on how you can effectively use your enterprise data in dashboards via query layers. Check out our new article on the ArcGIS Blog site! 

6 Comments
AlexZhuk
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the article. QLs is a very powerful way to ensure the "freshness" of data on a map.

Read more here http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/1012/harnessing-the-power-of-query-layers.html.

StewartGalloway
New Contributor III

Hi Brennan,

Can you help with my confusion:  I have seen dashboard-type graphics in various places.  How do I get this function in Web AppBuilder (WAB)?  I am running WAB for ArcGIS (ver1.4).  Is Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS a separate application that is installed like WAB?  Does the Infographic widget act like Operations Dashboard within WAB?

Thanks.

Stew

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stewart,

> Is Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS a separate application that is installed like WAB?

FYI, yes Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS is a completely separate and different application than Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS. The former is designed to enable you to configure Dashboards, while the latter is designed to enable you to create web apps.

Operations Dashboard is included within your ArcGIS Online organization and with Portal for ArcGIS 10.6.1. If you have Portal for ArcGIS 10.6, then it is a separate install.

> How do I get this function in Web AppBuilder (WAB)? ... Does the Infographic widget act like Operations Dashboard within WAB?

As you noted, Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS has a layout named 'dashboard' - which enables all widgets to be "open" when the app initially loads. One of its widgets, called Infographic widget - provides some charting capabilities. However, its functionality is NOT equivalent to the charting capabilities found in Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS.

> I am running WAB for ArcGIS (ver1.4)

FYI, the latest release of Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition is v2.10 - you may want to upgrade.

Some resources to learn more about Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS:

Hope this helps,

StewartGalloway
New Contributor III

Derek,

Thanks very much for your response. Where can I get a list of widgets that

are compatible with Web Appbuilder 1.4 (I think that there are some new ones

that I can add but some are not written for 1.4).

btw I attended two of your sessions at the NEARC in Saratoga which were

excellent.

Thanks.

Stew

StewartGalloway
New Contributor III

Derek,

Thanks very much.  I just found a description of the Reviewer Dashboard widget.  Is this a third method to display infographics??  Where can I get a list of widgets that are compatible with Web Appbuilder 1.4 (I think that there are some new ones that I can add but some are not written for 1.4). 

btw I attended two of your sessions at the NEARC in Saratoga which were excellent.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the NEARC session feedback.

> I just found a description of the Reviewer Dashboard widget.  Is this a third method to display infographics?? 

No, this widget is meant for use with the ArcGIS Data Reviewer for Server extension. It is used to support QA/QC workflows, not charting capabilities.

> Where can I get a list of widgets that are compatible with Web Appbuilder 1.4 (I think that there are some new ones that I can add but some are not written for 1.4). 

Sorry, but I am not aware of any such list. Keep in mind, more recent widgets were likely built with more recent releases of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript and possibly not supported in an earlier WAB release.

Hope this helps,