I would like to give feedback on using serial charts in ArcGIS Dashboards Beta when they are relevant in real-time situations.
The serial chart item does not work properly when you want to see real-time data. I will show the issue using 3 screenshots. Please follow the blue dots and line
In this first screenshots (taken at 05:30 PM) you see a first blue point. This feature has a timestamp of 02:34 PM. Yet I know I also should also be seeing another blue point with a timestamp of 05:22 PM. This is not shown here.
When time has passed 6:00 PM, the blue line and dot with timestamp 05:22 PM is shown. At this point I should also be seeing a blue point with timestamp of 06:01 PM, but that is not the case.
I think that the issue is that the category axis works with increments of 3 hours and that everything between the last shown category axis value and now is not shown on the graph.
Changing the minimum period in the data tab from minutes to seconds, doesn't help. Adjusting the size of the serial charts helps when shown in full screen (as the category axes increments change to 1 hour). The issue remains however that the feature with timestamps in the current hour are not included.
The solution should be that the category axes shows the next increment after the latest found timestamp. This ensures that all feature values are shown on the serial chart.
After analysing the issue a bit more, it looks like the underlying issue/bug simply is that the lastest found feature is not shown on the line chart, regardless of the time.
We've been making improvements in this area, so you might see this fixed later this month. Can you let us know what kind of services you are working with (ArcGIS Online hosted layers, Enterprise?) Also, is this a grouped values serial chart or By Features?
If you can confirm that this does NOT happen in classic Dashboards (Only in beta), that would be good information as well.
Even better if you can provide a public Dashboard I can use to reproduce!
Thanks for getting back.
Yes I am using Dashboards beta and an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service. This is a grouped value serial chart.
I have created a public test dashboard including a public test survey123 survey. When submitting a new survey, you will see the list of all entries update correctly. The serial chart shows everything but the last submitted survey entry (feature). I have added a comment field to identify your survey entry.
The survey converts the input of the question into an integer so that it can be shown as a statistic in the serial chart:
You can try and test out the dashboard and survey here: https://woerden.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/0b11c540836246279205d40e6d42c3e1
This is the underlying feature service of the survey: https://woerden.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e0c30b16830d41648cc0cf03b3b98da4#data
The map has been set to an interval of 1 minute. so the data should update by itself.
Let me know if I can help you further with trying something else to test it.
Thank you so much for the added information and Dashboard. I think we have possibly found a bug. We are looking into this further.
A possible workaround for you might be to use a 'By Features' Serial Chart instead of one based off of grouped values. When I do that, I can see the latest feature.
From looking at the network traffic, I believe the issue you found pertains specifically to a grouped values chart. In the screenshot below I have changed the serial chart to be 'By Features.'
Thanks for reporting!
thanks for the suggestion to change it to 'by feature'. Unfortunately,, this workaround is not an option for me as I am showing more lines of categorical grouped features, but this doesn't mean it could be a solution for others.
Maybe this could help to further identify the issue. Through the arcgis API for Python I batch append data to the feature service, one new feature for each grouped value. I noticed that not only did the last feature not show, but the whole batch. Therefore the issue might be that all the features with latest timestamp is not shown instead of only the last feature.
Yes, you're on the right track. We are sending a date range query and it appears to be leaving off the feature with the latest time stamp. We have logged an issue internally. Hopefully we come to a resolution soon.
I added a note to update this thread when the issue is addressed.
We just put a fix in for this issue. Turns out that certain data sources are storing dates down to the millisecond whereas others are down to the second. That was causing this issue.
The fix we put in addresses this issue, but there might be some more problem spots with selectors and filtering. We will be looking into this a bit more in-depth after the March Release. If you happen to find other issues with this dataset with other elements, let us know!
But you should be seeing this fix once ArcGIS Online updates to 9.1. Thanks for reporting!