Does adding other users' Map and Feature Services via AGOL to a Web Map cost credits?

03-23-2018 09:12 AM
PLS_KateGladstein
New Contributor III

Does adding other users' layers to a Web Map through AGOL, such as Map and Feature Services, cost credits? Will my adding those layers consume credits later, when my team uses my Map or the Apps I create from it? I have dug deeply into resources describing credits and so far this has not been addressed.

I would assume that if other users are in my "organization", that it will not cost credits. Adding MY published Services will not consume credits. Some ESRI-authored services mention directly in their Service description that they do not cost credits. Most layers make no mention of credits.

I'm out of places to seek answers, please let me know what you think.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Simply adding a shared hosted feature layer from another user will not result in the consumption of credits. It causes no additional storage in your portal and does not trigger a any analysis that could cost credits.

PLS_KateGladstein
New Contributor III

Thanks, that has been my assumption as well. What do you think about hosted map services or things other than simple feature layers? Is there a way to figure this out that I am not aware of? I wish the credits overview were more specific.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you look at this page ArcGIS Online | Service Credits or this page Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  you will see:

CapabilityService Credits Used
Storage
Feature Services Storage (excludes feature attachments)2.4 credits per 10 MB stored based on hourly calculations of storage per month
Tile and Data Storage (map tiles, feature attachments, scene layer packages, and documents)1.2 credits per 1 GB stored per month

Storing a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online, will consume 2.4 credits per 10 MB of storage each month. Attachments only consume 1.2 credits per GB per month. 

If I go into my organization I can get a report of all the items stored in my portal:

I have some very big ones, but for instance a layer with more than 7000 point features and lots of fields only occupies 2.5 MB and will consume 0.6 credits per month.

PLS_KateGladstein
New Contributor III

Yes, exactly my point.

Credits overview and My Organization detail our storage.

Neither address adding services from other Users/owners.

Thanks for confirming my assumption that using other Users' services doesn't cost credits, I hope we are correct!

Edit 1 year later: It does not cost credits to add others' web services, but end users may need paid AGOL accounts to access if it is "premium content".

0 Kudos