Cant upload webmap to shortlist template

09-10-2014 01:59 PM
BrittaneyRoss
New Contributor II

Hello, seeking help in loading my webmap into the the shortlist template. I followed the tutorials and I have all of my csvs loaded and saved in a webmap. I read this post https://community.esri.com/message/380096?sr=search&searchId=cba6bd3d-8bd6-45a5-bcf0-5c26740ad159&se...  on how to install the application but I have not been successful in loaded my map. I tried pasted my webmap id to the end of the Shortlist url.

Would greatly appreciate some help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

The shortlist template is one of the Story Map templates so I think you'll get more responses if you post this question to the Story Maps‌ space.

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

(Thanks for the cross-reference Kelly)

Can you paste a link to your web map? The link you pasted in isn't complete.

To deploy a Shortlist, you need to download the template from the Story Maps website and put it onto any publicly accessible web server or website. For example your agency or business probably has its own website so you'd just put the files onto a folder on that site just the same as if a new page was being added to the site. This may involve working with an web admin person, or you can easily do it yourself if you have write access to the website or a folder on it. For example if your website is hosted in a popular service like iPage, you would login to iPage and upload the Shortlist files into a folder. Then you'd just edit the lines in the configuration section of the Index.html file in that folder to specify the ID of your web map and any additional options. Finally in the header section of the Index.html file you could replace the link to the Esri logo and website to point at your own logo and website (see the Shortlist Readme file in the download for details). Note: your web map remains hosted in ArcGIS Online. All you are doing is installing the Shortlist application which points at your web map in ArcGIS Online. As long as your web map is publicly accessible in ArcGIS Online, your Shortlist app will be able to display it.

Like you say, we do provide a generic hosted version of the Shortlist template that is designed for testing and reviewing Shortlists before they are deployed. It's not designed to be used for deploying Shortlists because you can't change the logo to be your own like you'll almost certainly want to when you make a Shortlist (otherwise it looks like we made your Shortlist!). But it can be very useful for testing the web map you've created to see if it gets displayed correctly in the Shortlist. The parameters in the URL of this generic hosted version match the parameters in the configuration section of the Index.html file, so it lets you play around with the parameters before you edit the Index.html file in your own deployment of the Shortlist. So at the minimum you can just put your web map's ID into the webmap parameter in the URL and let everything else default:

http://storymaps.esri.com/templates/shortlist/?WEBMAP=1966ef409a344d089b001df85332608f

or you may need to specify multiple parameters in order to get the configuration you want. For example the following URL uses all of the parameters: My web map includes a point layer containing light rail stations that I want to be clickable in the map but which I don't want to be represented by a tab in the Shortlist, so I use the additional parameters to tell the Shortlist how to handle my map:

http://storymaps.esri.com/templates/shortlist/?WEBMAP=8504932f183c4b8699dc6ba28235e398&DETAILS_PANEL...

Rupert

Story Maps team

BrittaneyRoss
New Contributor II

Thanks Rupert for you help on this. I got it all working. I have one more question though. Is there a way to include routing directions with this template?

0 Kudos
BrittaneyRoss
New Contributor II

Thanks Kelly and Rupert for you help on this. I fog it all working. I have one more question though. Is there a way to include routing directions with this template?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi, Routing isn't supported in this template.

0 Kudos