Select to view content in your preferred language

Limit results by county

04-25-2011 12:12 PM
JJScott
Emerging Contributor
Hi, I want the map to show results only in a certain county, but still divided by census tract or block as the case may be. Same thing for reports-- I want to see data for each census tract within a certain county. How can I set this up in Community Analyst?

Thanks, JJ
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AshleyMott
Occasional Contributor
JJ, You could use a definition query in your layer properties to limit your Census data to only one county.
0 Kudos
JJScott
Emerging Contributor
Thanks, Ashley. How would I set that up? I searched the help for definition query and came up with nothing. I looked at the "My Layers" section but didn't see anyplace to define a query. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
Occasional Contributor
In ArcMap, right click on your layer name and click Properties...
In Layer Properties, choose Definition Query tab

Click the Query Builder... button

Use the Query Builder to create your expression

Example: COUNTY = 'PALM BEACH'

Your definition query will limit your dataset to only records in your county. If you want to "see" records outside of your county, you must remove the query.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00s50000002z000000.htm
0 Kudos
JJScott
Emerging Contributor
Right. But I'm using the beta Community Analyst program and was hoping to do a similar operation without using the full-blown ArcMap. A simple query interface would do the trick, but I haven't found one. Thanks though.
0 Kudos
Jennifer_Vaughan-Gibson
Esri Contributor
The best option would be to select the particular County and then Census Tracks. This would highlight the Census Tracks in your County of choice. Then you could run reports off those Census Tracks of that particular County.
0 Kudos
SeanO_Brien1
New Contributor
Is there anyway to visually restrict the data shown on the map (in community analyst)? For instance I only want the data to show up in a specific city, but the problem is that if any other census tract (for example) is in the data extent then that data value can skew the rest of the data that I want to see (in the legend, therefore throwing off the colors).
0 Kudos