Community Analyst Reports Issue - Only able to work with three of the fields within my imported table

Jump to solution
10-14-2022 06:33 AM
MichaelGeorge1
New Contributor II

Hey guys, I’m having an issue building a report within ArcGIS Community Analyst and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what’s going on.

For some context I am using a layer with the following fields to build my report:
GIS_ID, StreetName, StreetSegment, FromStreet, ToStreet, PavementTypeLong, Length, Miles, Width, Owner, ClassCodeLong, SquareYards, BenefitValue, Repair Method, AdjustedRSR, Cost

Of these fields I am looking to build a report that only includes the following subset of fields:
Miles, SquareYards, Repair Method, AdjustedRSR, Cost

Within the Reports section of Community Analyst however I am only able to work with three fields within my table:

Length, SquareYards, Cost

(See attached screenshot)

Is there a reason that the platform is not showing all of my fields, and is there a way to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @MichaelGeorge1,

To see the "Map Layers" option in the data browser, you will need to add the layer to the map as you can see below. 

FasilTiru_0-1666110764762.png

In addition, the layer added must support feature query. For example above, notice I can click on one of the features and see the attributes list.

Thanks,

Fasil T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @MichaelGeorge1 ,

From your screen shot, it looks like you are creating a custom data from your layer first and then use those variables to build your report.

As documented in the help doc for creating custom data, only numeric attributes are supported in this workflow. I recommend checking your layer and make sure the fields you want to use are all numeric.

If you need to use a combination of string and numeric fields, please use the Map Layers option by simply adding your layer to the map and selecting the variables from the data browser from this category.

FasilTiru_0-1665766226352.png

The limitation with this approach is that you must run your report by selecting the features from the map where the attributes are coming from. Otherwise, you will get N/A values if you try to run the report on unrelated sites. I've documented some best practices in this blog that you might find helpful. The blog is written for infographics but section 2. Map Layers applies for building reports as well. 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-business-analyst-blog/best-practices-when-sharing-and-running/b...

I hope this helps.

Fasil T.

0 Kudos
MichaelGeorge1
New Contributor II

Hello Fasil,

Thank you for this detailed reply and these useful tips. I read through your blog and am confused about how to use the "Map Layers" option. I am trying to build a new report and I do not see the "Map Layers" icon within the Select Variables tab within the report builder. Attached is a screenshot of what I am seeing on my end. 

Do I need to be using a specific report template in order to see the "Map Layers" option appear? 

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @MichaelGeorge1,

To see the "Map Layers" option in the data browser, you will need to add the layer to the map as you can see below. 

FasilTiru_0-1666110764762.png

In addition, the layer added must support feature query. For example above, notice I can click on one of the features and see the attributes list.

Thanks,

Fasil T.

0 Kudos