Your device is not sending valid NMEA. Using Android location services to determine your location.

01-30-2017 11:58 AM
AnnVanSlembrouck
Occasional Contributor

We are receiving an error when using the Collector for ArcGIS on Android Galaxy J7.

Our app worked on our older android phones, but since the phone upgrade, we are receiving this error, when trying to find our location on the map. 

Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ann -- I believe what you are seeing might be a message, not an error. Are you still seeing your location on the map after you see that message? Please check out Why am I receiving a message titled No valid locations when I use a device with an integrated GPS re...

Esri Education Team
AnnVanSlembrouck
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kylie, it is very inconsistent. One or two Android phones will show the correct location, and then a couple others will not.

Looks like it has to do with the phone and not the app.  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kylie is correct, it is a message and not an error.

GPS receiver support—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

SteveTaylor7
New Contributor III

This relates to a Collector bug with the integrated receiver which sometimes leads to a failure to find a location. Occurs in Android 7 on Samsung S7 as well. Triggered when location services switches between GPS only and WiFi or mobile data. The fix is to close the app completely and reopen. Then integrated receiver finds position quickly and accurately.  

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a support case open with this issue, but I cannot reproduce. I am asking the customer for a video of the behavior before we move forward.

DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 (US Verizon), and use Collector regularly.  I updated the App to version 17.0.1 (June 5, 2017) this morning, and now every time I open Collector, I get the error message "collector for arcgis your device is not sending valid NMEA. Using android location services to determine your location".  I have never received this message on this Galaxy S7 prior to the June 5, 2017 update.  My location does show on the map, but it is giving me an accuracy of no better than 20 feet, instead of the usual 10 feet.

If I switch my android location settings to "phone GPS only", I did not get the error/warning message the first few times, but now I get the message even with my phone set to GPS only.

I have closed and reopened the app about 30 times, and I get the message every time now.

Any workaround https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis?sr=search&searchId=175311...

DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dan-

Typically when you receive this message it is because the NMEA sentences output by the GPS on the phone are not valid, so we fall back to using the location services API.

Can you share what version of Android you're currently running?  Have you recently installed any OS updates?

DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Doug,

I am running Android Version 7.0 on Samsung Galaxy S7, with security patch date of May 1, 2017.  My phone says it is up to date with no other updates available.  I just tested it again this morning in an open parking lot with 19 satellites, and it wont get any better than 14.9 feet accuracy.  Still getting the NMEA error message.  My phone always would show 10 ft as the accuracy before this last Collector update.  I tried re-installing the app and restarting the phone, but that did not make a difference.  Let me know if there is anything you would like me try.

Thanks

SteveTaylor7
New Contributor III

All our Samsung S7 With Android 7 devices are now getting the NMEA bug and location issue. Even after the two recent Collector app updates.  As I have said before the issue does not occur with other apps using the phone GPS.  It is clearly  a Collector app bug.