Yet more offline areas failing to download on Collector

Jump to solution
07-26-2021 09:41 AM
Labels (1)
RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

I have been reading through all previous posts that I could find, on any issues related to problems with downloading areas for offline use on Collector (not Collector Classic). 

In the few cases I have experienced recently, there are no copies of layers in the same webmap, or domain names that coincide with field names in any of the present layers (as discussed here and here). All layers are shared at organization and/or group level, with syncing enabled and offline mode enabled too for the webmap. 

When trying to download an offline area (Area 1), it simply stops soon after starting and shows a blank page with a message "No maps to display" or similar. When re-trying, it will attempt to download 'Area 2' but the result is the same. 

I have tried to find the log through Collector developer options, but the only thing I can see is 'Placeholder' which does nothing when selected.

The webmap is created from 3x Feature Layer (Hosted). One was created in ArcMap and based on a File Geodatabase and the other two are shapefiles that have been 'dragged' in.

This works fine on Collector Classic (and it has worked ok with Field Maps too), but the 'new' Collector (v 20.2.2) has very frequent issues with offline area download, even though the type of WebMap we create always follows the same structure.

Despite all layers being shared at organisation and/or group level, I have found that the error is more likely to happen when the user who downloads it is not the same as the user who created the webmap, even though both have equal permissions on AGOL.

Sorry for creating a new post - again after reading through other posts I found no solution to my case and I hope I can find some support here. I'm happy to provide any more information that might be useful to understand the problem.

Tags (2)
33 Replies
PatrickFilyer
Occasional Contributor II

Can it have something to do with this?

"We will be performing maintenance on our tilebasemaps systems between 8:00pm PST and 10:00pm PST on July 28th. While we don't anticipate any significant downtime, you may experience some minimal disruptions during this maintenance period."

I have issues downloading new basemaps on collector classic for IOS. The error I get is "Could not connect to server"

I am able to download the same maps using collector classic on android + the new versions of collector. 

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the feedback and confirmation @RafaeldePedro @DavidRichey @DougBrowning  related to the slow download behavior of the Esri basemaps. That issue appears to have been resolved and the download issue is no longer reproducible. I know from personal testing on my end this afternoon that I am not longer seeing that lag like I was a few days ago with the same maps.

Also @PatrickFilyer, wrt to that message on the status page, those changes and enhancements made to the tiledbasemaps servers that took place on Wednesday night was unrelated to this issue of slow download behavior.  As for the download issues you're experiencing in Classic on iOS only, that looks to be a separate issue because if it were related to the basemap changes overall, it shouldn't matter which app being used, as you would likely still run into the same problem. 

Thank you

-Kevin

PatrickFilyer
Occasional Contributor II

@KevinBurke , another user and myself are still having issues. Please see the thread here for more details. Thanks.

BoulderCityGISAdmin
New Contributor

I struggled with this for weeks and had several help tickets that did not have a real solution but I finally figured out what was causing it on my applications.  If any layer has any fields hidden when you publish to ArcServer the map will show as available for offline but will fail when you try to download.  Once I made all the layers visible and republished it cleared the error.  The services had been working fine in older versions then stopped working once we migrated to server 10.8.  I cant say for certain if it was the server update or an online update that broke it since they happened around the same time.