Windows Collector Crashes When Editing Features With Attachments

04-19-2018 01:26 PM
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

Here's a quick rundown of the project I am currently experiencing problems with:

I am using a custom URL scheme to evoke Survey123 from Collector in order to bring in certain field values from an existing ESRI hosted feature service into a blank survey form.  The project involves keeping an inventory of vehicles parked in various spots around the city that are labeled "4 hour parking" so what I am trying to accomplish is using a point feature for the spots themselves that are viewed in Collector, launching Survey123 using the custom URL scheme from each point, and importing field values such as space number, parking restrictions, and location into the survey form.  This all works as I would like.  Once in the survey form, the user captures a photo of the vehicle license plate and submits.  Back in Collector, the point feature service created by Survey123 is displayed in such a way as to show cars that have valid and expired parking based on a start time and expiration time calculated within Survey123.

In order to "clear" a parking spot, the user should be able to click on the Survey123 point feature from within Collector, start an edit session, and click a time stamp field that indicates the space was cleared at that time.  The filters I have set up in the web map look to see if there's a value (dateTime) in that field and if so it is no longer symbolized on the web map and therefore no longer seen in Collector.

However, whenever this field is populated and submitted via Collector, the app crashes.  It only occurs on features that have an attachment and seems to only be an issue in Windows.  And it's not every time a feature with an attachment is edited, more like 50% of the time.  I have tested the same process in Android without issue but unfortunately for this project I am constrained to Windows.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?  

Thanks.

Update:  After more testing I believe I have found a correlation between a high refresh interval (something I forgot to mention was in place) and the app crashing when saving edits to features with attachments.  I had the refresh interval set at .15 minutes in an attempt to make the app as real-time as possible.  I adjusted the refresh interval to 3 minutes and it seems more stable, however it has still crashed a couple times.  Whereas Collector was crashing when saving edits roughly 50% of the time with a high refresh interval, it's improved to only about 5% of the time with a lesser refresh interval.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NitinBandi
New Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Can you please post the crash log?

You can find the logs at this location

:\Users\******\AppData\Local\Packages\Collector Windows Package Name\LocalState\logs

0 Kudos
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

I have attached a screenshot of the error log.  Sorry that it is clipped a bit, I am using VNC to access a machine used in one of our fire trucks so I can't make the screen any bigger.  Hopefully this will be sufficient.

I am of the inclination that this is somehow a connectivity issue but the error log doesn't make much sense to me.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

Receiving the same error on a different project.  With both projects the exception is thrown when an edit is being made against an existing feature.  The edit is applied as expected but Collector then crashes.  Initially I believed it to be a connectivity issue but do not believe that to be the case any longer. 

The log is as follows:

01/23/2019 16:49:28 | Critical |  |  | Application.UnhandledException | Arg_NullReferenceException
System.NullReferenceException: Arg_NullReferenceException
   at Esri.ArcGIS.AppFramework.MapPage.FeaturePopup.FeatureResultsDataSource.UpdateFeature(ArcGISRuntime.Data.Feature feature, ArcGISRuntime.Layers.FeatureLayer featureLayer)
   at Esri.ArcGIS.Collector!<BaseAddress>+0x1491731
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x4511ee
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x451168
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x50c81a
   at Esri.ArcGIS.Collector!<BaseAddress>+0x1490d36
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x4511ee
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x451168
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x50c81a
   at Esri.ArcGIS.Collector!<BaseAddress>+0x1490498
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x69993e
   at SharedLibrary!<BaseAddress>+0x497d7c

0 Kudos
EricVenden
Occasional Contributor II

We are having similar issues - on iOS app.  This has just started happening (last 1.5 months or so)  I have a feature class (parkway trees) with 16k features, most of which have attachments (13500).  When first starting Collector, it will allow us to edit 12 or so trees and then crash.  Next time we open Collector, we usually edit many fewer features before it will crash. 

There is nothing in the Collector log - other than some mentions of "Deactivating Snapping" and "Activating Snapping".

ArcGIS Server logs show nothing out of the ordinary.

We have slowly been adding attachments over the past several years - wondering if we reached some "threshold"

0 Kudos
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi there,

I'm a little late to this thread but came across it while troubleshooting similar issues. I would consider taking a look at the following during your troubleshooting methods:

• Do any of your layers contain multi-part features? These have been known to cause crashes during edit submissions from Collector. Consider using the explode tool in ArcGIS Desktop to convert to singlepart.
  • If using ArcGIS Portal to access our web map and our published data is published as referenced (registered to ArcGIS Server), then please consider clearing the geoprocessing history and disabling geoprocessing logging for your feature classes that are displaying issues:
  • Test removing refresh intervals (mentioned above) from your web map
  • Test the issue in both ArcGIS Collector AND ArcGIS Field Maps, retrieve diagnostic logs and submit them alongside a desription of the issue to Esri Technical Support.

0 Kudos