Why won't Collector record the NMEA metadata from the Trimble R1 receiver?

Jump to solution
10-20-2016 09:15 AM
DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

I have used the GNSS Status Utility with firmware 5.03 to apply NMEA setting to the R1 so that I can connect to it through bluetooth directly from Collector. It seems to be working well and I'm getting 20" accuracy without GNSS Status Utility app installed on the tablet. I can see all the NMEA data when I tap the symbol at the lower right of the screen. I have added the relevant fields into the FGDB feature class table before sharing the hosted service to ArcGIS Portal. The feature class is copied to the managed database in that process. So even though I can see the data in Collector while viewing the map, it is not being stored in the feature class when I collect a point.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Daryl,

With regards to the issue you're running into with the missing GNSS metadata fields, we have a known issue with the current Collector for ArcGIS version where the values aren't being written to the fields when the data is stored in a PostgreSQL database. Because it sounds like you're working with the ArcGIS Data Store with Portal, PostgreSQL is the database that runs on the backend. Therefore this is probably the issue you're running into, as I recently reproduced it on my end using Portal as well. The problem is due to an attribute field casing discrepancy between Collector and PostgreSQL. This issue is reproducible on iOS, Android, and Windows. This issue will be resolved in the next app update that gets released.

What operating system are you working with Collector on?

Thank you.

Hi Dale,

Because your issue is unique to iOS and not on Android for the same map, it sounds like you're running into a different issue than what I described above. Does this issue happen for every point you collect on iOS or is it intermittent behavior?

Are all the metadata fields blank or just a few of them?

Thank you.

-Kevin

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DaleEdgar
New Contributor II

I am having the same problem but only when using iOS (iPad mini 4).  When I use an android device (Galaxy S7) the fields populate.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Daryl,

With regards to the issue you're running into with the missing GNSS metadata fields, we have a known issue with the current Collector for ArcGIS version where the values aren't being written to the fields when the data is stored in a PostgreSQL database. Because it sounds like you're working with the ArcGIS Data Store with Portal, PostgreSQL is the database that runs on the backend. Therefore this is probably the issue you're running into, as I recently reproduced it on my end using Portal as well. The problem is due to an attribute field casing discrepancy between Collector and PostgreSQL. This issue is reproducible on iOS, Android, and Windows. This issue will be resolved in the next app update that gets released.

What operating system are you working with Collector on?

Thank you.

Hi Dale,

Because your issue is unique to iOS and not on Android for the same map, it sounds like you're running into a different issue than what I described above. Does this issue happen for every point you collect on iOS or is it intermittent behavior?

Are all the metadata fields blank or just a few of them?

Thank you.

-Kevin

DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks so much for the update Kevin. You're right I have been using a hosted layer to try and collect the data.

0 Kudos
DaleEdgar
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin,

Yes, it's every point and all of the metadata fields are blank using iOS.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Dale,

Thank you for that information. As a test, to remove your map and data from the equation (even though it works on Android), try the following on iOS:

1. Sign out of your current account

2. Click 'Try It' at the bottom of the Collector splash screen.

3. Just like you did originally when you signed in, go into the Settings and set up your Location Provider to use the GPS receiver being used.

4. Once that's done, launch the GNSS Capture map.

5. Collect new point features using the GPS receiver and see if the metadata is being stored for those.

We can then go from there, depending on those results.

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
DaleEdgar
New Contributor II

I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
DaleEdgar
New Contributor II

That worked! I see the metadata after collecting a point when not logged in

and using the GNSS Capture map.

0 Kudos
DaleEdgar
New Contributor II

Kevin,

Where do I go from here? My data is a hosted feature layer on Portal for ArcGIS.

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Dale,

Sorry for the late reply. That's great to hear that it worked for the GNSS Capture map. At least we now know its not an issue with the iOS device or GPS receiver.

I think I know whats going on here. On the iOS side, you're running into the same software bug that Daryl is above, regarding the issue with the GNSS Metadata fields and PostgreSQL since I am assuming you're also using the built-in ArcGIS Data Store with Portal. Therefore that explanation above also applies in that case. Again we are aware of that issue and will address it with the next app update for iOS. The reason why it works on Android, is because that issue was already addressed prior to that release.

The reason why it worked for the GNSS Capture map on iOS, is because that uses a hosted feature service from ArcGIS Online and therefore doesn't use PostgreSQL like Portal does for the built-in data store.

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos