Select to view content in your preferred language

Using location tracking service in Portal 10.3

Jump to solution
05-26-2015 10:50 AM
DavidMann1
New Contributor III

I am trying to get a location tracking service to work in our new 10.3.1 Portal environment and thus far having no luck.  I tried to follow the documentation here http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=051146f34aec4ef8ac228b5e6b2b8eac but it is dated and has not been updated for newer versions, offline editing, etc.

I started with the Location Tracking template map package, copied that FC to our sde that is registered with the server, enabled editor tracking using the fields that template came with, added global ID's, enabled archiving, and published the featture service with Query, Update, and Sync capabilities, per the documentation but adding the GID, archiving, and sync capability in accordance with offline workflow requirements.

Steps 7-9 are confusing maybe because of changes in what things are called since previous versions, or maybe I am going to the wrong place. I find the service in My Content and go into the item details, edit, and change the Tags from what it was published with to what is listed in step 9.  Are these steps not referring to tags, they call them 'Keywords', under the 'Update Item' dialog.. I don't see anywhere else that I can change these settings.

Anyways I get done, add it to a map, save it, and go to edit the map details and the map is enabled for offline use, but nowhere do I see the location tracking options.

Any help??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II

Well, kinda weird, but I was able to get it to work this way. I guess the

trick is putting the word "sharing" after our portal name. However I was

disappointed in that the lowest interval you could set was 30 seconds. I

was hoping to use this to track while helicopter mapping. I need 3 seconds,

not 30. Perhaps there's a method to map in a polygon that's automatic as

opposed to tracking the device? That way I could see what was being drawn

in real time.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have an editable line or a polygon you can stream with an interval down to 1 second.

0 Kudos
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II

Well that was easier than pie!