Using location tracking service in Portal 10.3

Jump to solution
05-26-2015 10:50 AM
DavidMann1
New Contributor III

I am trying to get a location tracking service to work in our new 10.3.1 Portal environment and thus far having no luck.  I tried to follow the documentation here http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=051146f34aec4ef8ac228b5e6b2b8eac but it is dated and has not been updated for newer versions, offline editing, etc.

I started with the Location Tracking template map package, copied that FC to our sde that is registered with the server, enabled editor tracking using the fields that template came with, added global ID's, enabled archiving, and published the featture service with Query, Update, and Sync capabilities, per the documentation but adding the GID, archiving, and sync capability in accordance with offline workflow requirements.

Steps 7-9 are confusing maybe because of changes in what things are called since previous versions, or maybe I am going to the wrong place. I find the service in My Content and go into the item details, edit, and change the Tags from what it was published with to what is listed in step 9.  Are these steps not referring to tags, they call them 'Keywords', under the 'Update Item' dialog.. I don't see anywhere else that I can change these settings.

Anyways I get done, add it to a map, save it, and go to edit the map details and the map is enabled for offline use, but nowhere do I see the location tracking options.

Any help??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you try creating a new map with the layer?

Also make sure your type keywords are this:

"typeKeywords": [
   "ArcGIS Server",
   "Collector",
   "Data",
   "Feature Access",
   "Feature Service",
   "Location Tracking",
   "Service"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The tags do not control the location tracking info. You need to go into the type keywords for your item.

You can either go through the sharing page or you can use ArcGIS Online Assistant  to update the type keyword. In the AGOL Assistant you will point it towards your portal and sign in, then lick on I want to.. and choose View an Item's JSON. Then edit the location tracking layers JSON and go to the type keyword section and add Location Tracking to the list and save the JSON.

Cheers

Russ

0 Kudos
DavidMann1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick response Russ.

I had never seen/heard of the ArcGIS Online Assistant, and I could not get the /sharing URL to work before.

So I went into AGO Assistant and added to the typeKeywords 'Location Tracking' on the feature service, and the map service just for good measure.  Added the feature service to a new map and still no location tracking options showing up in the map details. Any more suggestions?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Only those two methods can be used to add the location tracking type keyword to layer. Make sure your adding it to the feature service item and not to a map item. Also when you add the layer to the web map, you click save and then go to the map details, click edit and you should see the option to enable location tracking and set the interval rate.

0 Kudos
DavidMann1
New Contributor III

Yes so I have the keyword added to the feature service, and removed from the map service now, added the service to a new map, saved, go to edit map details and still nothing. Anywhere else besides the keyword I could be going wrong that is keeping it from working?tracking_FS_json.jpg

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you try creating a new map with the layer?

Also make sure your type keywords are this:

"typeKeywords": [
   "ArcGIS Server",
   "Collector",
   "Data",
   "Feature Access",
   "Feature Service",
   "Location Tracking",
   "Service"

0 Kudos
DavidMann1
New Contributor III

Got it! The second go around after you pointed out the AGO assitant tool I was just making sure the "Location Tracking" keyword was there, but it was missing "Collector" still, adding that made it work.  Thank you for the assistance!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

no sweat.

0 Kudos
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to get this same thing to work in 10.3 with the NPS Portal - but the AGOL Assistant doesn't seem to like our portal. The Location Tracking document is useless since it talks about updating Type Keywords and I assume it meant tags. But apparently if I cannot get into this AGO Assistant then I cannot add Type Keywords and therefore cannot track? This seems kind of arcane. I guess I could use AGOL instead of Portal but that's not what the document said I needed to do. So...???

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

So in Portal 10.3 you would be using this map package and publishing up a location tracking feature service to your portal.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=051146f34aec4ef8ac228b5e6b2b8eac

In the notes on the item details -

• To make this item a Location Tracking item, log into the ArcGIS Portal Directory using portal account you previously signed in with. Go to your User Content, locate the Location Tracking feature service item, and open the item page.
    • So you go to portalname.esri.com/arcgis/sharing find the Location Tracking item, open the page and at the bottom of the page you will see Update
  • Under supported operations click on Update Item.
  • In the Type Keywords(Type keywords are different than tags) text box replace the existing text with ArcGIS Server, Collector, Data, Feature Access, Feature Service, Location Tracking, Service and click Update Item at the bottom of the page.

Then you add the updated item to your web map, click save, go to your map details and enable location tracking and set the tracking interval.

Hope this helps you out.

Russ

0 Kudos