Using Collector Offline via Laptop

05-19-2015 02:22 PM
KirstenFrost_Andersen1
New Contributor II

I'm struggling to figure out if I can set up an Collector map for my organization, but allow the users to edit the data offline in the field via the browser on a Windows laptop and sync when back in the office, rather than requiring an Android or iOS device and downloading a specific app.  Does anyone have any experience with Collector offline on a laptop?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll check that one out. Thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm going through that now.. Can't for the life of me determine why I don't have an offline option for the web map.

Here's the feature service:

http://lancastercountypa.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=716a269173fa478c94ef3485bd2578d3

Here's the web map:
http://lancastercountypa.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c29b881b217d40699f92f867e48b583d

While connected to the internet on the laptop I can see it listed in All Maps but there's no download. 

Nothing like hijacking someone else's thread    sorry about that.

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Your map is not shared publicly so it is asking me to sign in. 

But from a look at your layer, I'm wondering if you enabled offline access for it. If you go to the layer and view the settings tab, do you have sync enabled on it?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that suggestion. I saw that in the article you had posted and I did confirm that option is checked.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

When I try to download a copy of your map that I saved in Collector on Windows, I get a message about the World Hillshade service you are using in the basemap not supporting export of tiles. Have you tried a different basemap?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. I've tried two different basemaps. Ideally I can use one of the aerial photo basemaps.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

I put your layer in a map with the Imagery Hybrid basemap and that one downloads for me in Collector on Windows.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not sure what I'm missing

I have two feature layers I'm working with now for testing and I've clicked on the open in map viewer to create a map and then save.  I don't have the option to download eather feature layer from arccollector.

I'll follow with screenshot.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wanted to double check the process I was going through and figured I'd do screenshots along the way in hopes you can tell me if there's something I'm missing.

I created a document with screenshots of every step I took (I left out the FeatureLayer settings but there's a link to the feature service (and the web map) in the document you can confirm.

Making ArcGIS Collector App.docx - Google Drive 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

I still think this has to do with the basemap. I don't have access to your new map, nor do I have the same basemap option of "OSM Basic" in my org (orgs can set up their own gallery of basemaps). I would try the imagery basemap, or imagery hybrid, if you have either of those in your org's basemap gallery. 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos