Using Collector Offline via Laptop

05-19-2015 02:22 PM
KirstenFrost_Andersen1
New Contributor II

I'm struggling to figure out if I can set up an Collector map for my organization, but allow the users to edit the data offline in the field via the browser on a Windows laptop and sync when back in the office, rather than requiring an Android or iOS device and downloading a specific app.  Does anyone have any experience with Collector offline on a laptop?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
RichardAddison
New Contributor II

Hi: Collector only supports IOS and Android devices currently. I have heard from ESRI that Windows support is coming in late 2015. Until Windows is supported by Collector, I don't believe there is another solution that will work in offline mode beyond building an custom app via the API.

ScottSambell2
New Contributor II

You could run Android OS on your laptop to run Collector. eg http://www.andyroid.net/

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Collector has been released on Windows 10. It is available for download from Windows Store here.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same question about it. I'd like to find a workflow that allows me to download data while connected to our network, take the edits in the field offline. I'm running a windows 10 machine and cannot find any way to do it. I've seen workflows for iOS and Android but not one from a Windows Laptop.

0 Kudos
KirstenFrost_Andersen
New Contributor III

Keary, since I posted this question in 2015, we have a workflow set up to use Collector on a Windows 10 laptop.  ArcGIS Collector is in the Windows Store for download and we have an AGOL map set up for editing the data and downloading it for offline use in the field. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I must be making it unnecessarily complicated. I can't seem to get an offline option to come up for the layer (hosted feature layer) or the map.

0 Kudos
KirstenFrost_Andersen
New Contributor III

That's odd.  I did not personally figure it out, one of my team members did.  When he's back in the office later this week, I'll ask him to respond with any insight.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That'd be great. I'm documenting the workflow I'm working through now just to try and identify gaps in my understanding of the process.

1) Create Hosted Feature Layer in ArcGIS Online (confirm settings necessary to make available offline)

2) Create ArcGIS Online Map and confirm settings for making available oflfine in Collector

3) Create ArcCollector WebMap

4) Install ArcGIS Collector on Windows 10 Machine (mobile tablet) and connect to ArcGIS Online Account

As long as my laptop is connected to the internet I can connect to the map and add features.

What do I need to do to make that map available offline while I collect data?

I've cycled around all kinds of articles for using Mobile devices but not for my scenario.

I need an article like this for Windows 10 Device using ArcCollector offline:

Prepare for offline data collection—ArcGIS Collector | Documentation 

Prepare for offline data collection—ArcGIS Collector | Documentation 

Sync and manage offline map areas—ArcGIS Collector | Documentation 

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is the equivalent doc for Windows: Prepare maps for offline use—Collector for ArcGIS (Classic) | Documentation 

Esri Education Team