Updating Collector for ArcGIS app

Jump to solution
07-31-2018 09:54 PM
Dionisiobattad
Occasional Contributor

Dear All,

I have developed an app in Survey123 for ArcGIS using our Portal for ArcGIS environment. Some data has been collected already.

I noticed that one of the subtypes is not using the right domain values. What I would like to do is update the app (republish a feature service) without losing all the collected data. How can I do this? Also, how can I create a backup of my data?

I am just learning at this stage so I would appreciate help from anybody.

Many thanks.

Dionisio

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Dionisiobattad,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have made improvements to the Connect publishing workflow with regards to domains and choice lists. You can check out the latest announcement, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds and the new Connect publishing workflows. You feedback on these improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dionisio,

How did you create the original feature layer and what version of Portal are you using?

You should be able to update the choice list in your survey without effecting the domains and subtypes. The values used by the app will only relate to those in the choice list, however upon changing them in survey123 it will not update the domains and subtypes in the feature layer.

To make a backup of your feature layer you can do this a few ways, by exporting the data to a supported format (fgdb, excel, csv etc) from your Portal, or making a copy of your feature layer and saving it as a new feature service. I would suggest any testing you do to be done on a backup or copy of your survey and feature layer, this is to avoid any data loss should you publish and make changes that are not compatible.

Phil.

0 Kudos
Dionisiobattad
Occasional Contributor

Hi Philip,

I created a file geodatabase and created the domains - with the domain names & description. For each domain name, I created the coded values with the description.

Then I created a new featureclass in that file gdb. Under Properties, I created the SubTypes and then mapped the Domain for each subtype. I also enabled attachment and GlobalD.

The users have been collecting data using the app but one Subtype is not displaying the domain values, e.g. Subtype = Vines and then it has 3 domain values. It is not displaying these domain values when you select Vines. The other subtypes are working very well. I went back to the file gdb and featureclass, and everything is alright.

My dilemma now is how I can make that subtype display the domain values without losing data collected already.

We are using 10.6.1.

thanks.

Dionisio

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dionisio,

Are you able to share a copy of your xlsx file so I can take a look at how you have configured the questions and choice lists?

Phil.

0 Kudos
Dionisiobattad
Occasional Contributor

Hi Philip,

I was confused and I'm sorry about that. The app was created in Collector for ArcGIS instead of Survey123 for ArcGIS.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Any help is much appreciated.

Dionisio

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Dionisiobattad,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have made improvements to the Connect publishing workflow with regards to domains and choice lists. You can check out the latest announcement, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds and the new Connect publishing workflows. You feedback on these improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos