Update on Collector and Offline Use

01-09-2014 10:42 AM
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
I've read that offline use is coming to Collector at some point. I was looking to see if there has been any progress on this issue. This lack of offline capabilities is the major issue that is preventing our organization from deploying Collector in the field as we are often in rural areas. We need the ability to cache basemap data as well as features from our ArcGIS Server and/or ArcGIS Online.

My company is currently deciding which Android based data collection tool we want to pursue. Collector would be the most ideal since it ties in nicely with ArcGIS Serve, but the lack of offline capabilities simply is a deal breaker. We need to know if it's worth the wait or if we should continue to pursue alternatives such as GISCloud, Mapwith.us or just develop our own in house solution.

I would really appreciate some information about how you plan on implementing offline capabilities for Collector.

1) When offline use does come how will it work? Will it cache basemap titles as well as editable features from the map?

2) How will it work in terms of what is cached? Would I draw a box around the area I want cached and it downloads all the corresponding data. Or do I select which layers are to be cached?

3) If it does cache basemap layers will it cache all view levels or would I select which view levels to cache.

Thanks for your time. If you'd like a guinea pig to help test out features in Collector I'd certainly be interested in providing feedback. My organization does a lot of complex field data collection and Collector really has the potential to dramatically streamline the process.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
DavidBurchfield
New Contributor
I'm right there with you, Keith. I would appreciate some news on this from ESRI. It would be great to have this functionality in place before this year's field season begins!

I've read that offline use is coming to Collector at some point. I was looking to see if there has been any progress on this issue. This lack of offline capabilities is the major issue that is preventing our organization from deploying Collector in the field as we are often in rural areas. We need the ability to cache basemap data as well as features from our ArcGIS Server and/or ArcGIS Online.

My company is currently deciding which Android based data collection tool we want to pursue. Collector would be the most ideal since it ties in nicely with ArcGIS Serve, but the lack of offline capabilities simply is a deal breaker. We need to know if it's worth the wait or if we should continue to pursue alternatives such as GISCloud, Mapwith.us or just develop our own in house solution.

I would really appreciate some information about how you plan on implementing offline capabilities for Collector.

1) When offline use does come how will it work? Will it cache basemap titles as well as editable features from the map?

2) How will it work in terms of what is cached? Would I draw a box around the area I want cached and it downloads all the corresponding data. Or do I select which layers are to be cached?

3) If it does cache basemap layers will it cache all view levels or would I select which view levels to cache.

Thanks for your time. If you'd like a guinea pig to help test out features in Collector I'd certainly be interested in providing feedback. My organization does a lot of complex field data collection and Collector really has the potential to dramatically streamline the process.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
We are currently pulling together a series of blog posts and video demos to help show what is coming in the Collector app. I will post a link to the first blog post when it gets published which should be very soon.

Russ
0 Kudos
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
We are currently pulling together a series of blog posts and video demos to help show what is coming in the Collector app. I will post a link to the first blog post when it gets published which should be very soon.

Russ

Awesome, I'll be looking forward to it. Thanks.

If reliable offline access and smarter forms come to Collector it really could be a major evolution in the way we collect field data.
0 Kudos
AndySuppiger
New Contributor II
That would be great Russ.

I imagine there are many of us out there who are anxiously awaiting this functionality.

Thanks

Russ
0 Kudos
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
Any word on when the new 'March Release' of Collector is going to be available? I'm stoked about the offline mode, from what I've read in last months blog article it's everything I was hoping for.
0 Kudos
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
Oh boy it's out! I'm can't wait to try it out. This is huge... Go ESRI!
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III
So, with excitement I downloaded and tested - Doh!  Disconnected editing isn't yet available for my data, in my SDE, published by my ArcGIS server as this isn't supported until server 10.2.2  http://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/android/create-maps/offline-map-prep.htm

<face palm>:confused:
0 Kudos
TysonJohnston
Occasional Contributor
We are in the same boat as you,  amarsden.  Also, it doesn't support Versioned data.  We went as far as creating a two-way replica, and disabling versioning, enabling archiving, publishing a new sync-enabled service from the replica.  No dice...
0 Kudos
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
Yeah, same boat here. Need to upgrade ArcGIS Server to 10.2.2. We should get to that in the next week or two. I'll keep you all posted on how it works out.

We have some Nexus 7 tablets paired with bluetooth Trimble GPS receivers. We are really hoping this is going to be the sub meter near real-time field survey tool of the future. If offline use works as advertised some smarter/dynamic forms are next on my wishlist.
0 Kudos