Unable to view related Tables in Collector

02-02-2017 11:35 AM
williamsalling
New Contributor II

We are running server 10.4.1 with portal.  not Federated.  using collector we can add new items to a related feature class, but we are not able to view any of them with collector.  We see all of them in ArcMAP.

We receive this: Error Unable to retrieve information, please check connection.

Like I said we can add new items to it, but cannot view any of them or existing ones from collector.

Please help?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi William,

Which operating system are you using with Collector?

When did this issue start happening? i.e. has it worked in Collector before for you?

How are the relationships configured between the origin and destination tables? i.e. using Global ID's to GUID fields, or user-defined fields?

Are the relationships between feature class and tables or feature class to feature class?

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
williamsalling
New Contributor II

We are running on IOS, latest version.  I thought I could see them on Friday, but now I am rethinking that.  We are using a different field because the Global ID was giving us an error, so it is a user defined field. 

It is Feature Class to Table.

We can add with ease, no problem there.  just cannot view what we just added or existing ones, unless in ArcMap

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi William,

When adding new related records, are you manually populating both the Primary and Foreign Key fields with the same exact values? This will essentially link them together. If only the Primary Key field is being populated but the Foreign Key field is left blank, this will cause orphaned records. They can still be added, but are not related.

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
williamsalling
New Contributor II

No sir, it is auto populated from the parcel we selected.  I am think that we need to change the key to the GUID's.  We are just not setting this up to run and are learning the good and bad right now.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi William,

Thank you for that information. For testing purposes, just to get the relationship functionality up and running, I would recommend to create a new feature class in the same geodatabase with a GlobalID field as well as other random fields to test with. Then related that to a table with the GUID field. Then in Collector, because the GlobalID field is system defined, it will populate automatically when new features are created. That value will also get copied into the GUID field, thus linking them together. Using the GlobalID/GUID relationship is oftentimes more ideal because it doesn't require any user interaction to link the records together and populate certain fields. 

Let me know if you have any issues with that test.

If it works, the same relationship should be able to be adopted for your normal data.

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
williamsalling
New Contributor II

Just did that.  We only created on Relationship Class. Used the GUID as keys. Still able to add new items, but not able to view them from collector.  we can even see the pictures we took while adding the new item in the relationship from ArcMap.  Just something simple and it is frustrating

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi William,

I understand its frustrating, but we'll figure it out. Just to clarify, are you using a GlobalID in the main feature class that's related to a GUID or is the main feature class using a user-defined field related to a GUID? I am just trying to understand further by what is meant by 'Used the GUID as keys'.

Is the relationship one-to-one or one-to-many?

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
williamsalling
New Contributor II

We have two items we are doing the relationship on(of course right), first is Parcels(featureclass) with GlobalID, Versioned.  Seconded is a flat table Contact, with GlobalID also(not used as key), field called GUID as GUID (used as the foreign Key), also versioned.  We set up a relationship using simple, 1-many, using GlobalID to GUID as match. 

We new feature is added to Contact, the GlobalID from Parcels is autopopped into GUID as expected.  There is one field that we put junk comments in as test to show people what they can not.  Simple text field.  And attachments are turned on.  That seems to be working just fine.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you for that information. So just to further clarify, you're saying that with that configuration, it is not working in Collector when trying to view existing related records. Is that correct? I am just trying to ensure we are on the same page.

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos