Unable to Open Map "Invalid call with current token type"

12-24-2018 09:42 AM
KristalMclean
New Contributor II

Collector for ArcGIS on iPad

Unable to Open Map "Invalid call with current token type"

Trying to open existing map created in ArcGIS Online.  Using a global account to log in to Collector for ArcGIS and am not able to load map.  Tested the same map using Collector Classic and have no issues loading the map.  I have tested loading different maps created the same way and have had no issues loading them in Collector for ArcGIS.  I have checked and updated sharing permissions and nothing has been changed on the ArcGIS Online side of things that would usually prevent a map from loading properly.  

What am I missing? Thoughts?

27 Replies
KristalMclean
New Contributor II

So, this is the odd behaviour I just came across while trying to open an existing map using the Explorer app.  I received the "Invalid Token" message when I was trying to open one existing map but not for a different map created during the same time period last year. 

Here is what I've figured out, it doesn't like a copy of a view, or at first glance that seems to be a basic assessment of what might be part of the issue. 

When the map contained a feature layer (hosted, view) there were no issues opening the map up in Collector for ArcGIS or Explorer. 

BUT if I made a copy of that view in the map so that I could have multiple versions of the same feature layer to symbolize the data differently based on filters, the map does not load and I receive the "invalid token" message. I did not change any sharing permissions. 

By removing the copy of the layer but keeping the original feature layer (hosted, view) I was able to get the map to load correctly. 

That's the "fix" I've managed to find.

0 Kudos
KristalMclean
New Contributor II

Quick follow up.  Another issue I have discovered is that it will not display properly if you try and configure the attributes of a view using the 'Configure Attributes' function that is in the Configure Pop up window.

I tried to configure a few attributes in a view so that they were view only.  Once I configured that attribute within the map I received the "Invalid Token" message when I tried to open the updated map in Explorer or Collector for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I noticed that as well with the configure attributes. I did find that it seemed to be occurring with views and trying to make copies of the views. ultimately, as amber converse pointed out. I went back to older sources of data and recreated the maps with joins for the newer data, so far haven't had any of the same issues and I've isolated and marked those layers so no one uses them.

0 Kudos
ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? I'm the admin for a large organization that produces many web maps used for data collection in Collector. Only some of the web maps have the issue of -working perfectly in Classic but won't open in new Collector and shows the token error. The new version of Collector is so much better I'd prefer never to use Classic. It gets confusing for the users who may need to download 2 separate apps just to collect data. The web map that I'm currently working on only has one layer and was created spring of this year so it's not particularly old.

0 Kudos
AdaLi1
by
New Contributor III

I had the 'Unable to Open Map "Invalid call with current token type"' message when I tried to open my map on Explorer. Deleting World Imagery Wayback layers (https://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?id=0f3189e1d1414edfad860b697b7d8311#overview) from my map did the trick. I'm not sure what it was exactly from these layers that caused the issue.

AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

Very interesting. I have the World Imagery layer in my maps as well.

0 Kudos
MattMulder
New Contributor III

I don't know if anyone's come up with a concrete solution to this issue, but the work-around solution that I've come across is adding the feature layer directly from the Service URL via the "Add Layer From Web" Option

BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

This solution worked for me. Anyone still trapped on Collector should try adding directly from "Add Layer from Web - Service URL."

0 Kudos
JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

The original post is from late 2018 and this is still an issue in 2020 for ArcGIS Online. Its not a specific issue for Collector or Explorer as it seems to impact both mobile apps, based on all the comments.

I am having this issue with a map in Explorer. I configured a pop-up and can no longer access the map in Explorer. I get this message " unable to open map "invalid call with current token type" ". This is not a new map and the audience has been using it for a few weeks without issue. Just happened when I configured the pop-up. I am seeing this issue as the content owner.

I made a copy of the feature (in the Web Map) and deleted the original and everything seems to work fine now. I can configure the pop-up and see the results in Explorer.

This behavior seems a little buggy. Any thoughts from Esri staff?

Thanks,

Jamie.

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Jamie,

Sorry you are having issues here. You are getting this error because the Runtime, which both Explorer and Collector are built with, is having trouble opening/parsing the webmap. This could happen for a number of different reasons, but usually involves something unexpected in the JSON of the webmap itself. Is there any way you can share the webmap with us? Also what platform (iOS, Android or Windows )are you using Explorer on?

Thanks,

-Brent

0 Kudos