Unable to access/download preplanned map area created in AGOL in new Collector

04-24-2019 06:59 AM
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Colin Lawrence

I have created a small preplanned map area in AGOL for use in the new Collector app. The map area has finished packaging in AGOL, yet that same off-line area when viewed in Collector says "Generating." It has said "Generating" overnight, hours past when the packaging completed in AGOL.

I intentionally created a very small map area to see if the size had any impact. I tested downloading an offline area using the same exact map straight in Collector (versus the preplanned area created in AGOL) and had no issues there. I was able to download a big area with lots of data including attachments with no issues.

Colin, I have a log file that I can attach to this question, but am worried that it might contain sensitive info. Is it safe to attach here, or is it possible to send via email (the data contained in the map is sensitive)? There are a few messages that read "Found an Exploded Map Package at: file:///private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/....." - I think those are the only messages that pertain to this issue. All the other messages are regarding the offline area that successfully downloaded (I think).

As an aside, in case it is important, I am using a sideloaded basemap for the map in question. I was hoping that taking the basemap out of the downloading equation would help to speed things up. In looking at the log file in Collector, it looks like that the offline area that did successfully download still downloaded the basemap used in AGOL, rather than honoring the advanced setting of "Device will use a tile package it already has." This might be a separate issue, but throwing it in here as well. I also might be misreading the log.

Thank you!

5 Replies
SeanSmith
New Contributor II

Hi - In response to the issue i was having, Eagle GIS Support here in NZ identified there was a known bug thus:  #BUG-000119490 Offline map areas are not generating in the Collector for ArcGIS (Aurora on iOS) app when a custom basemap is using the New Zealand Transverse Mercator (NZTM) projection.

I did confirm this was the case - I replaced the offending basemap in my Collector Map with a non-NZTM projected map and it fixed my issue.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor
As an aside, in case it is important, I am using a sideloaded basemap for the map in question. I was hoping that taking the basemap out of the downloading equation would help to speed things up. In looking at the log file in Collector, it looks like that the offline area that did successfully download still downloaded the basemap used in AGOL, rather than honoring the advanced setting of "Device will use a tile package it already has." This might be a separate issue, but throwing it in here as well. I also might be misreading the log.

The issue makes more sense after reading this bit. Referencing a sideloaded basemap using the advanced settings is not yet supported in the current version of Collector and will be introduced in the near future in a Beta and in the next release (19.1).

That being said you should still be able to download the preplanned area which will include the Web Maps current basemap. So in regards to Sean's response, which basemap are you using in the Web Map? The log file shouldnt contain sensitive information, but you can send it to me in a message as an alternative.

Colin

Regards,
Colin
LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

Hi Colin. A few updates:

• I reinstalled Collector (not sure why I did that - guess I wanted to started fresh)
  • I removed the advanced setting of using a sideloaded basemap in the AGOL map settings (despite what you said above that even though this is not yet supported it should not impact using preplanned areas)
  • Same problem still persists. I've created one small preplanned area that finished packaging in AGOL super quick but after waiting overnight the offline area in Collector still says "generating."
  • After reinstalling Collector, there was nothing in the log until I signed out and signed back in. There is now one line in the log that reads, "5/7/19, 8:11 AM Current user's map folder: lbetanco_umn_egis@NEfPUcqTuMvqwoCp "
  • Same applies on two different devices (one iPad and one iPhone)
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm using 19.1 and I don't see this option "Device will use a tile package it already has". Everytime I download a new map, it brings the entire basemap tile package with it, unlike Collector Classic, which DID have a setting to allow to use the current side-loaded tile package. We are not able to use Aurora due to this regression. 

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas,

The "Device will use a tile package it already has" setting is not a Collector setting. It is found in the Offline - Advanced Options in the Web Map details. This is where you manage Offline Areas, sync, and basemap download settings. Instructions for this workflow can be found on our doc page. If you still have issues with this workflow please let me know. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin