Turn Off Editing in Collector for ArcGIS

Jump to solution
01-16-2019 07:42 PM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III

I want to prevent my users from editing when they use Collector for ArcGIS. 

I am using Collector App in Apple on an iPAD and on a Android Phone. 

But, when I turn off editing (uncheck the box) in the Feature Service in AGOL used by our Collector App, the specific app disappears from the Collector App. When I turn editing back on, the specific app reappears in the Collector App.

Is it possible to prevent users from editing inside a Collector App?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tim,

Collector for ArcGIS is designed and meant for field data collection. Editing is one of its key capabilities.

Perhaps you might want to use Explorer for ArcGIS instead? This app is more of a "viewer" app when compared to Collector.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tim,

Collector for ArcGIS is designed and meant for field data collection. Editing is one of its key capabilities.

Perhaps you might want to use Explorer for ArcGIS instead? This app is more of a "viewer" app when compared to Collector.

Hope this helps,

deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

Like Derek mentioned above, editing is part of Collector. If you disable editing on all of the layers in the web map then the web map won't even appear in the Collector list of maps.

Here's a simple workaround if you still want them to use Collector instead of Explorer:

Publish your feature service(s) with a relationship class and a table. Make the table editable but remove editing permissions from your features.