The Collector App

10-30-2018 05:03 AM
ChrisSlattery
New Contributor

Hello. I am new to GeoNet. I have created a Collector App and have been doing some reading on line about this. When taking the map offline the aerial image is terrible. In fact it is almost useless. Using it online is fine but we are taking the tablet where there is no wifi connection and the tablets do not have cellular service, so it has to be offline. I created a tpk file and tried to use it in collector but after selecting the work area the resolution is again very low quality. Does anyone have any idea how to have a better resolution aerial image in an collector map offline?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

What is the download size of the map?  If you download a very large area, I would assume the basemap would become grainy to try to get the file size down.

0 Kudos
ChrisSlattery
New Contributor

I was trying to just get the area we were working in but it turned out to be a very large area and the file size is 1gb.

0 Kudos
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Try downloading a larger scale map (1:15,000) and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
ChrisSlattery
New Contributor

Ok. I have just tried this. The quality of the image is the same as before, when taken offline, the image is so grainy it is not readable. I also tried a high resolution image from NearMap and it is the same. Crystal clear until taken offline.

I am also have  trouble placing a point by the GPS location. It is constantly searching and never places a point. I want to use the GPS Metadata to get an altitude but it just does not work. Even on my phone online.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Could you check and confirm the procedure for taking maps offline? 

You will be provided with two blue squares in two separate steps. You use the 1st one to define your work area (study area), then you use the second one to define the level of detail that you want to take offline (the map details). So in the second option you need to zoom in to the finest level (largest scale) at which you would like to take data offline. You will notice that the estimated size is provided below this second blue box and it increases significantly as you zoom in.  

0 Kudos
ChrisSlattery
New Contributor

Ok. Now I understand the 2nd step. I was zooming it back out to match the work area not understanding what the 2nd step was for. I will do it the other way and see what I get.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In order to get large areas and good details we create our own tpk:s and sideload them to the device. We have tried several settings and this works for us:

Create a Tile Service with following scales (Generate Cache Tiling Scheme):     

Create a tpk with the following settings.

Tile size 512 by 512

Tile Format: Mixed

Compression Quality: 50

Storage Format: Compact

0 Kudos
ChrisSlattery
New Contributor

Thanks. I will try these settings. I made a tpk file and copied it to the iPad. When I tried to use it I was given a message saying it was an invalid file.

0 Kudos