Subtype order in Collector

01-11-2015 01:46 PM
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

I just published a service with ~200 subtypes. The subtypes are species of trees, and have specific defaults and domains for cultivar, common name, origin etc based on the tree.

When I was testing early on, with only a dozen or so subtypes, I observed that when I published the service and used it in Collector that the subtypes retained the order in which I had created them. With so many subtypes I decided that I would create them in alphabetical order, to make searching for the correct one as simple as possible. But now that I have entered the entire list of subtypes, I have found that Collector is not ordering them as they were entered. I have a randomly sorted list now.

This is far from ideal with so many subtypes. Is there any way that I can force collector to adhere to a subtype order? Could this possibly be done via editing the schema XML? Any help/advice/ideas would be appreciated!

EDIT: On closer inspection, I have noticed somewhat of a pattern in the way the subtypes are ordered. I have numbered the subtype code from 1-196. In collector they appear to be grouped into blocks of ten, like so:

110-119

30-39

120-129

1-9

40-49

130-139

50-59

etc

I am trying my best to identify some kind of pattern here, because I think that if I know the pattern then I can use the subtype code to force the order in Collector. Can anyone shed any light here?

EDIT 2: Okay, so I have discovered that I can reorder the subtypes in the AGOL map. There is a "manage" button underneath the subtype list while editing. This allows me to "move up" and "move down" the subtypes. This is going to take a long time, which is not ideal. Also if I ever had to re-publish the service I would have to do it all again this way. So finding out how the order is determined would be the best solution.

Tags (2)
6 Replies
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

This is a known bug.

I haven't seen any investigation by end users though.

Would be great to be able to 'trick' ArcServer into displaying the correct order.

The ArcServer forum may have more information.

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I have re-posted over there.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3

This may also help to fudge, depending on your setup:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/files/2014/10/How-to-Update-Hosted-Feature-Service-Schemas1.pdf

I host via an on site Portal and when I get to step four I just see a blank window.

Mind you, now that I type that my service isn't hosted either ... something else for the todo list.

JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

Ah yes, I am familiar with that document. I followed the steps to view the JSON, but was unable to find anything in there that hinted at the order in which the subtypes appear. In fact, they were ordered alphabetically in the JSON, but I guess that order does not translate into the order within the AGOL map or Collector. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3

Doh!

Maybe Collector is the issue.

What do you see at the REST end point?

0 Kudos
JamesPreston
Occasional Contributor

The REST endpoint reflects the unusual incorrect order that I am observing in Collector. I am also observing it in AGOL, so I think the issue lies there, and Collector is just following suit.

I have a somewhat convoluted plan to try and trick the service into ordering the template as I require it. It does require quite a bit of work on my part though, but I may have no choice. If it works I will come back and let you know how I did it.

0 Kudos