Status symbology crash and workaround

03-30-2015 08:45 AM
CalebAnderson2
New Contributor III

I've been struggling with the best way to symbolize both the type and status of an asset in Collector. I'm working with several types of waste water flow monitors that are either operational or in need of maintenance. We're trying to work it so the field crew, in part, get's their task list by looking at the web map to identify monitors in need of maintenance and planning their route and schedule accordingly. All maintenance needs and maintenance performed are stored in related and nested tables.

Attempt #1 (Fail)

• Created two fields for the monitors feature class (type and status)
  • Made a copy of the feature class in the table of contents using ArcMap and symbolized each copy by either type or status (skull and crossbones at the request of the monitor repair techs)
  • Upload (share) as ArcGIS service, add to web map, use with collector, etc.

TOC.PNG

The problem here is that "adding data" to related tables either crashes collector (Android) or just wouldn't show up (iOS).

Attempt #2 (Mostly Success)

• Upload the data without a duplicated copy of the feature class (just the monitors)
  • Create a copy using ArcGIS Online and change the symbology

TOC_Online.png

This works great other than I'm limited on the symbology (Web Map vs. ArcMap); pretty trivial but the techs won't get their skull and crossbones.

How are other people symbolizing type and status. Is there a better way?

2 Replies
BAXTERQ_ANDREWS
New Contributor III

You could use the sewer monitor symbols reversed to show "removed"...this is coming from a new GIS person...so consider the source! Me! Good luck I am finding the GIS very interesting and intriguing. I will keep checking back on your responses.

0 Kudos
CalebAnderson2
New Contributor III

I don't know if I follow but in my case, a monitor that is "removed" is taken out of the ground and is no longer collecting data (the study is over ... not because it is in need of maintenance). Displaying a monitor by type and whether it is in need of repair or not is what I'm working with.

0 Kudos