Signing in to ArcGIS Enterprise

02-03-2020 01:47 PM
HannahCole1
Esri Contributor

Hey Collector team,

I'm presented with in error when trying to specify the URL to an instance of ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.7.1 on an iPad Pro - seems like a pretty generic error, which states that "the server you are trying to connect to (tss-Prairies.esri.local) was using an un-trusted certificate... I have set up certificates on the server though as part of the install, it is a single server, essentially a base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise (on Windows 10). Any tips or ideas of why I might be getting this error? Could it be that this device needs to be put on the network that the server is located in? 

I tried the workflow on my iPhone 8 and got the same error. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

~Hannah

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hanah - I can tell you that a CA-signed certificate from Comodo or other signing authority would never be valid against a machine name:

tss-Prairies.esri.local

you are going to have to assign a valid alias to the machine with a dns ending that the cert was issued against, like esri.org, esri.net, esri.com etc.

That has to be in place for collector to be accessible externally.

0 Kudos
HannahCole1
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

Thanks so much for the tip.. is it even possible to assign a new alias to a machine, once I've installed ArcGIS Enterprise on it/set everything up on the VM? Specifically ArcGIS Enterprise? If you could quickly outline that workflow that would be awesome.. I am still learning the deployment side of things and any facts on top of Google would be so helpful. I am a TSS for Esri Canada and trying to add to my IT/install skill sets.

~ Hannah

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Well, someone in your org has to assign a machine alias in whatever you all use for a DNS controller, and/or external load balancer.  I wish I could be of more help, but there are just too many deployment scenarios.  For example, we use a fully distributed deployment, with the web server that hosts the web adaptors sitting behind a proxy known as F5.  F5 handles external web traffic, and so when a user goes to ags3.scgov.net/portal, they are going to the web adaptor named 'portal' that then handles all requests.  I'd start here:

About securing your portal—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

HannahCole1
Esri Contributor

Thank you, David  I will dig into this topic further this week. Have a great week!

0 Kudos