Rotate a map in Collector

Jump to solution
03-03-2014 08:55 PM
SindileBidla
New Contributor II
I wonder if it is possible to rotate a map in Collector? That is the orientation of the map should face the same direction as that of the field worker.
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

Map rotation (among many other great new features) will be a part of the Aurora release of Collector. It is currently in Beta if you want to try it out. See the following post for more information:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis/blog/2017/09/06/the-auror... 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
As of now it always points North, might be a good idea though to add that possibility.
0 Kudos
SteveGensler
New Contributor III

Spoke to Collector for arcgis developer today at the ESRI UC. He said this is a tool which has been built, but not deployed.  It just wasn't a priority. Anyway, he says it's a quick fix! I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

0 Kudos
SteveGensler
New Contributor III

At Botanical Gardens we work at a large scale and many times our plant locations are within a foot of each other. It is essential to know which direction you are facing.  Unlike streets our garden pathways do not follow at grid system which makes it impossible to orient yourself.  We have three suggestions for this enhancement.

1) Allow the user to manually rotate the map to their perspective.

2) Automatic orientation based on the internal compass in the tablet.

3) Just place a compass on the screen.

VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

This orientation capability would  make the Collector app easier to use at our botanical garden as well where it is next to impossible to tell which direction you are facing. I love the three ideas you propose and I think the most user-friendly would be the automatic orientation using the tablet's internal compass.

CharlieDoherty
New Contributor II

Hi,

I know i'm jumping on this thread late but does anyone know if there has been any progress on this?

We use Portal and Collector and the ability to either manually rotate a map or the option for the rotation to follow the direction of the user in Collector would be really useful.

I know this can be done using the Javascript API but we are looking for this in the standard Portal/Collector deployments.

If anyone has any information that would be great.

Thanks,

Charlie

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

Map rotation (among many other great new features) will be a part of the Aurora release of Collector. It is currently in Beta if you want to try it out. See the following post for more information:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis/blog/2017/09/06/the-auror... 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

Hi Collin,

We are just wrapping up a busy mapping season at Desert Botanical Garden and I want to pass on to your team that the new map rotation capability is extremely popular with our staff, interns, and volunteers. It gives us freedom to map plants facing in any direction and even map while standing in the nearby shade on a blazing hot day in Phoenix. I was initially worried that map rotation would be discombobulating for some folks, but that didn't end up being a problem after all. The label functionality was pretty much like Christmas for us too.

Kudos to the Aurora team,

Veronica

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Veronica,

We are very happy to hear that this has enhanced your field workflows. Please don't hesitate to throw some more great ideas at us (via Geonet, Support, conferences or feedback within the app).

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos