"Opening Map" takes a long time on Windows 10

05-16-2018 08:32 AM
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

I have a map for collector which opens fine on Android or iOS (~10 seconds), but on Windows 10 it takes ~90 seconds to open the map. Each device was connected to the same wireless network.

The Windows 10 device is a Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 running Collector 18.0.1.0

I also tested on a Dell laptop running the same version of collector with the same results. Is there any way to figure out what's causing this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

Derek Law any ideas on this? Everything is in ArcGIS online. The map is pulling in 4 feature services, and 2 of them have ~10 layers each. That seems to be the issue, if I set up some test maps without these services they load much faster. However, it's not really an option to trim down these services (which work fine in ios and android)

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rob,

Apologies for the late reply, I did not see the email notification that you had posted on this thread until now.

Sorry, but I don't have much to offer to help troubleshot this issue. It is odd that performance is good on iOS and Android, and not so good on Windows 10.

You could do some testing to try and determine/assess if it is indeed the number of layers in the web map affecting performance. I would start with a new web map and only 3 feature layers - see if performance is acceptable on Windows. Then add a new layer and check performance. Keep adding layers until you reach a threshold or hit "slow" performance, then you can at least have an idea if 10 layers is too much.

I also found this, 10 essential tips to improve your Windows 10 Mobile device performance

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos