Process for Reconcile Data from Collector

03-30-2016 09:05 AM
brettangel
Occasional Contributor II

We are using Collector for ArcGIS with Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.  We have 3 different groups updating the same feature class and they sync morning-midday-night.  Every morning I do a reconcile post to push the edits to the default.

Is this the correct process for sync'ing data collected in Collector for ArcGIS and reconciling with the default DB?  Am I missing anything?

Reconcile.PNG

7 Replies
brettangel

354 views and no replies?  Crickets...

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Easy tiger.

This seems like a reasonable method you've got there.  I can think of a few other ways to accomplish the same thing, but it's a little difficult to judge one way or the other without knowing the business decisions that are guiding your thought process. 

If it works for you who are we to judge?

0 Kudos
brettangel

Sorry.  Not a fan of the new forum, but I digress. 

Unfortunately, this process is not working for us.  I keep getting orphaned versions created by Collector and I thought it might have to do with a setting in the reconcile process.  Maybe post without deleting and then go back and delete?  I have also had some odd sync'ing errors, but now I do not think they are related to this process. 

I am wide open to suggestions so I'd take anything you got.  Please share.

-Brett

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3

Ahh gottcha - so is a new version being created every time you take a map offline in Collector?  Would it be possible to consolidate that somehow to have multiple mobile devices all using a single version to cut down on the number of reconciles you need to do?

0 Kudos
brettangel

Based on what I have seen Collector/Server creates a version for every device the map gets loaded on.  Even if it is the same map.

I still do not know how or why the orphaned versions and associated replicas became orphaned, but I was able to delete them without introducing anymore "errors". 

I plan on some more testing to recreate the error and figure out how to avoid it with scripting, but in the end it feels like using a managed database is the easiest way to manage data collected with Collector.

0 Kudos
brettangel

Quick follow up.  You have to sync, remove from device, then sync and delete on the server.  If you do not remove it from the device or attempt to remove it after you sync on the server it introduces some issues with deleting and managing the replica and versions it has created. 

We were trying to coordinate too many people and ended up moving everything to a managed DB.  Much easier.

AdrianMarsden

As usual, I was bad and searched for an existing post AFTER I added my own (https://community.esri.com/message/874650-commit-new-features-to-base-version-when-in-offline)

Anyone have any easy solutions for this, or is the OP still the simplest way?  My situation is pure Collection of new data - no edits to exiisting features so the scope for conflicts will be prety low.

0 Kudos