Problem downloading offline area in new Collector, but not Collector Classic

Jump to solution
02-21-2019 06:44 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I created a web map which has an editable feature layer in it for our staff to use for offline data collection in the field. On multiple devices, we have been able to successfully download an offline map area in Collector Classic, but not the new Collector app. Since it seems this isn’t an issue with the map being offline capable, any other ideas why this might be happening? I did not receive any other error message other than a generic “download failed”. 

Thanks!

Edit/Update:  I have received a lot of helpful insight on this topic, and in my particular case, I believe the error was caused by having a copied layer in the web map. I was able to determine this by using the Developer Logging feature described below.

If this issue pertains to you, you can up-vote this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/16311-enableallow-maps-with-multiple-copies-of-a-layer-to-be-used-o... 

Here is a related Geonet blog post that I did not find in my initial research: https://community.esri.com/thread/227015-webmap-can-download-in-collector-classic-but-not-in-new-col...

Hope this helps someone!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
42 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Colin,

The web map in question is - http://qgsp.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=05b7fba0a64d434aba2f1ea617a18da6#overview

Peter

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Peter,

The map isn't loading for me. Can you share the Map and Feature Layer(s) to a Group and invite the user "Collector4arcgis". I can take a look that way. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Peter,

I took a look at your map and reproduced the download error. For your reference and others in this thread, logging can be enabled in the new Collector:

Open the settings > tap your login name at the top 3 times > "Developer" options should appear at the bottom of the settings > Open the Developer options and turn on logging > reproduce the download failure > back in the Developer options, click Logs > you will see more detailed errors that you can review or share out via email, etc.

In Peter's map, and error is being thrown on the "harvest_lines" layer, "The item to be created already exists in the database". This error sounds a lot like a known issue regarding duplicate domain names. I'm guessing you have similar domains applied across the points and lines layers. A simple test would be to remove one of these layers and confirm you can download the map area. If that works, the next step is to investigate the domains. Were they created in ArcGIS online (AGOL) using the list functionality or in Desktop? If you created them in AGOL it applies the field name to the domain name, ie if your field name is "status" the name would be status_domain. If you have another layer with the same field name and you create a domain list for that as well the domain names will be duplicated. When downloaded they are packaged into the same database and the duplicate domains will cause an error. A fix was already applied to AGOL for this but for existing data the lists will need to be modified so they can be renamed with the new scheme, which avoids the potential for duplicates. You can simply open the lists, apply a space to one of the values, remove the space, then save. The new domain name should be applied. 

For others, see if you can capture a more specific error using logging and we can look into it. Thanks

Colin

Regards,
Colin
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Colin,

Thank you so much for the detailed response, that is extremely useful to know exactly what goes on with the layers.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to open the "Developer" options using the steps you described.   I'm probably just missing something obvious...would you be able to provide a screenshot? I am an administrator so I wouldn't think it would be limited by my user type. I am using version 19.0.1, Build 2609.

Again, thank you!!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Katherine,

Here is a screenshot, ensure you are tapping on your login name 3 times rapidly. There should be no dependencies on user type or login. 

Regards,
Colin
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Colin, not sure what I did differently (maybe just faster taps?) but it did work this time! I will definitely be using this feature in the future to help with troubleshooting.

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

C‌olin, I tried to download another map today and the same situation happened (worked in Collector Classic but not the new Collector). Using the Developer logging tools, I see the following message:

[OFFLINE] Found and Exploded Map Package at: file:///private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Applications/....... (longer path)

Any insight on what this could mean? I found this thread but there was no relevant response: https://community.esri.com/thread/225874-how-to-deal-with-an-exploded-map-package-in-collector 

Thank you!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Katherine,

The message you are seeing is more of a result and not an error message. You will see several of these come back in the logs when a download fails, but you will want to scroll a little further until you find the error message.If you are having trouble locating it, sometimes its easy to clear the logs first so you are not seeing older messages. Use the trash icon in the top right on the logs page and then reproduce the download failure again. Again you might have to scroll through some of the exploded map file messages, but your error should be in there. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah ok, thank you. After clearing out the log as you suggested and attempting to download again, I found two error messages, both stating "unable to support duplicate feature layers". 

I didn't actually create the web map, so I didn't realize at the time that one of the layers is actually just a copy of the other one. I assume now that is what is causing the issue, and copied layers are not supported for offline use? However, why would I still be able to successfully download in Collector Classic? Were copied layers supported in that version of the software?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

It does sounds like you are running into an issue with copied layers. The fact that copy layers works in Classic is coincidental and was not intended functionality. We hope to improve the documentation of this in the future. 

In your situation I would suggest looking into Feature Layer Views or removing the copied layers from maps you intend to go offline with. I hope this helps!

Colin

Regards,
Colin