Problem downloading offline area in new Collector, but not Collector Classic

Jump to solution
02-21-2019 06:44 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I created a web map which has an editable feature layer in it for our staff to use for offline data collection in the field. On multiple devices, we have been able to successfully download an offline map area in Collector Classic, but not the new Collector app. Since it seems this isn’t an issue with the map being offline capable, any other ideas why this might be happening? I did not receive any other error message other than a generic “download failed”. 

Thanks!

Edit/Update:  I have received a lot of helpful insight on this topic, and in my particular case, I believe the error was caused by having a copied layer in the web map. I was able to determine this by using the Developer Logging feature described below.

If this issue pertains to you, you can up-vote this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/16311-enableallow-maps-with-multiple-copies-of-a-layer-to-be-used-o... 

Here is a related Geonet blog post that I did not find in my initial research: https://community.esri.com/thread/227015-webmap-can-download-in-collector-classic-but-not-in-new-col...

Hope this helps someone!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Peter,

I took a look at your map and reproduced the download error. For your reference and others in this thread, logging can be enabled in the new Collector:

Open the settings > tap your login name at the top 3 times > "Developer" options should appear at the bottom of the settings > Open the Developer options and turn on logging > reproduce the download failure > back in the Developer options, click Logs > you will see more detailed errors that you can review or share out via email, etc.

In Peter's map, and error is being thrown on the "harvest_lines" layer, "The item to be created already exists in the database". This error sounds a lot like a known issue regarding duplicate domain names. I'm guessing you have similar domains applied across the points and lines layers. A simple test would be to remove one of these layers and confirm you can download the map area. If that works, the next step is to investigate the domains. Were they created in ArcGIS online (AGOL) using the list functionality or in Desktop? If you created them in AGOL it applies the field name to the domain name, ie if your field name is "status" the name would be status_domain. If you have another layer with the same field name and you create a domain list for that as well the domain names will be duplicated. When downloaded they are packaged into the same database and the duplicate domains will cause an error. A fix was already applied to AGOL for this but for existing data the lists will need to be modified so they can be renamed with the new scheme, which avoids the potential for duplicates. You can simply open the lists, apply a space to one of the values, remove the space, then save. The new domain name should be applied. 

For others, see if you can capture a more specific error using logging and we can look into it. Thanks

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

42 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This looks to be an issue with Collector and not ArcGIS Online. I would post this in the Collector forum linked here: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/collector-for-arcgis 

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks, Russell. I moved it to the Collector forum. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Kylie Donia‌  Hello, I still have not heard any thoughts on this issue, and I was wondering if you could help? You seem to be very knowledgeable about Collector based on other threads I've seen.    Or if there is someone else who you think could help could you direct me to them?

Thank you so much!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also have this problem. I am using an old iPad Air. I can download an off-line map in Classic and all layers work fine but the same map fails to download in the new Collector app.  Any help in understanding what is going on would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
PatrickFilyer
Occasional Contributor II

I am having the same issue with one of our maps

0 Kudos
PatrickFilyer

Multiple maps now...

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

While we have encouraged our field users to familiarize themselves with the new Collector app, we have also strongly suggested that they keep both versions of Collector on their devices, since issues like this seem to be unpredictable and not even always reproducable on other devices.

Definitely a bit frustrating, but I guess there are still just a few kinks to work out with the new software? I still haven't been able to figure out exactly why the map didn't download in new Collector. 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
PatrickFilyer

Thanks Katherine

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you have a Copy of a layer in your Web Map? This will cause the download to fail in Collector. See the following thread:

UPDATE: Cannot create offline area if Webmap has a copy of a layer in new Collector for ArcGIS 

Otherwise I suggest logging a case with Support so we can this issue triaged more effectively. 

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos