Problem Adding Points with Attachments (Android Only)

Jump to solution
05-15-2014 06:21 AM
JamesGraham
New Contributor III
I hesitate to call this a 'bug', but it sure seems like it. (Adding points w/attachments in iOS and AGOL desktop browser seems to work fine, Android has the issue described below)

Here's the set up:
*Map created using ArcGIS 10.2.2 - but MXD is sent to our IT department and they open and publish using 10.2. ArcMap and Server  published to are at 10.2.  (don't know if this is relevant, but including detail just in case)
*Collector for ArcGIS version 10.2.3 - initially upgraded existing Android install, but eventually uninstalled and reinstalled as of today.
*In the map, we have two public-facing, secured point feature services, both with attachments and editor tracking enabled.  NOTE:  these two point fcs have a 1-M relationship class set up.
*In ArcGIS.com, we have a single map which is set to private with access to one Group.

In the Android version of Collector:
this works:
1. Open the app, select the map, enter my security credentials, the map appears, the data are visible, selectable and editable.
2. Click on the (+) sign to add a new feature.  Enter various attribute info.
3. Click the 'map' icon to move the point.
3. Click the checkmark to save.
4. Saves feature successfully.

this fails:
1. Open the app, select the map, enter my security credentials, the map appears, the data are visible, selectable and editable.
2. Click on the (+) sign to add a new feature.  Enter various attribute info.
3. Click the 'map icon to move the point.
4. Add attachment (either from device or via camera).
5. Click the checkmark to save.  No 'posting' dialog, just shows the name of the map at the top nav bar.
6. Feature is still in 'edit' mode!  I can't go back to the attribute or map view.  I'm trapped! 🙂

Here's a quick 2 minute Youtube video that demonstrates the issue:
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesGraham
New Contributor III
Happy to say that this issue has been identified and resolved!:)

I emailed the android team at esri and Paul Barker provided the answer (thank you Paul):

James are you by chance using a samsung device, if so what version of android is it running.  Samsung had a bug at one point where their camera app consumed so much memory it actually forced the operating system to steal some of collectors memory which leaves it in a funny state (similar to what you???ve described.).  Upgrading (if its an option) to the latest version of android might resolve the issue or downloading another camera app could also work

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magix.camera_mx

Paul

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesGraham
New Contributor III
Happy to say that this issue has been identified and resolved!:)

I emailed the android team at esri and Paul Barker provided the answer (thank you Paul):

James are you by chance using a samsung device, if so what version of android is it running.  Samsung had a bug at one point where their camera app consumed so much memory it actually forced the operating system to steal some of collectors memory which leaves it in a funny state (similar to what you???ve described.).  Upgrading (if its an option) to the latest version of android might resolve the issue or downloading another camera app could also work

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magix.camera_mx

Paul
0 Kudos
JamesGraham
New Contributor III
Additional info:  we experienced this problem while using a Samsung Galaxy S4
0 Kudos
RichHammond
New Contributor
Hi jg1295,
I was experiencing the same problem with my S4. I spent a good couple of hours trying to figure out the problem before I decided to hit the forums. Thank you for sharing ESRI's response. I have the most up-to-date version of Android (4.2.2) on my phone, and I've tried several different camera options (including the one provided in the link) and the issue still persists for me. What did you do specifically to resolve the issue?

A greater concern I have is if this is an issue with all Samsung devices? I was actually testing the software out on my phone before we commit to a potential project in which we'd be buying several tablets. I really need to know if this is something I need to be concerned about when shopping for them.

Thanks,
Rich
0 Kudos
CraigCheeseman
New Contributor III
This issue has not been resolved. 

We just purchased a Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 inch model.  I have made sure the OS is fully up to date and I have tried several Camera apps.  When ever we collect a point and then add an attachment the app hangs where it shows the name of the map in the top bar and then just holds the data in edit mode.  You have no way out.  If you press the back button the app will ask you if you want to discard the point and even when I have gotten back to map view the point is highlighted and any touch of the screen moves the point to that location.

I have tested my map on a Droid DNA and a Nexus 7 tablet with absolutely no issues so this looks like a Samsung issue.

I do have an SD card in the tablet and I noticed that it stated that the SD would be used for storage and not the main drive.  Could this cause the issue?  I do not have external cards in either of the other two devices.

I thought I was good to go because I had tested fully on other devices and now I was getting ready for field deployment with our new gear and am now may be in real trouble.  Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks.
0 Kudos