Possible Bug - Text Field used for Symbology shows up as a domain field when editing

Jump to solution
04-15-2014 01:29 PM
LuciHawkins
Occasional Contributor III
I have several text fields in my data.  All show up as text boxes when I go to edit a point EXCEPT for the one text field that I am using for symbology of the points.  When I edit that text field, it shows up like it is a "domain" or "subtype" and not a text field. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Luci
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
We took a look at the service and noticed that the REST is missing some info under the Types section. It should say inherited for those domain attributes and the app will consume the data model correctly. Without the info in there the service will display just the text boxes. Here is a sample I published up through desktop showing what we expect.

ID: N
Name: N
Domains:
Field Name: Light_Type
Inherited
Templates:
Name: N
Description:
Drawing Tool: esriFeatureEditToolPoint
Prototype:
Attributes:
Field_Verified: N

How was this service published and modified?

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Hi Russ,

Using ArcMap 10.1 SP1, I published a Service and used my ArcGIS online connection.  I then logged onto ArcGIS online and configured all of the settings for the feature service and added it to a new map and configured the map.

Everything looked great in Collector.  We edited a streetlight point and everything changed with the fields that had domains.  I then looked at the map and tried to edit a point using ArcGIS online and everything there was fine.  The fields with domains still had the domain selection.

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Awesome, Glad everything is working out for you.

Russ
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Hey Russ,

No, everything is still not working out. I apologize for not being clear on what the problem is.

Everything looked great in Collector. We edited a streetlight point and everything changed with the fields that had domains.   - and not for the better - the fields went from domains to text boxes and the text box field we are using for symbology went to a domain like pick list. Because the fields in "Collector" went from domains to text boxes, I then looked at the map and tried to edit a point using ArcGIS online and everything there was fine. The fields with domains still had the domain selection.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
looking at the serivce in the group you shared with me under the Types section of the service there are no domains listed. If a field has a domain it would be listed under there and the app would be able to display it correctly.

Types:
ID: Y
Name: Y
Domains:
Templates:
Name: Y
Description:
Drawing Tool: esriFeatureEditToolNone
Prototype:
Attributes:
Field_Verified: Y
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Hey Russ,

Where did you see that information?  When I look at the rest services for both of the feature services I can see the domains for the fields.  I would like to see the same information you provided in your previous post for the service StreetLightsDomainProb that I published this morning.  We have not touched it yet and I would like to see what it looks like prior to adding it to a map on ArcGIS online or editing it with Collector.

The links below are for the 2 rest services for the features services:

http://services2.arcgis.com/DsE4m2IKL5jJE7JP/arcgis/rest/services/StreetLightsDomainProb/FeatureServ...

http://services2.arcgis.com/DsE4m2IKL5jJE7JP/arcgis/rest/services/StreetLights/FeatureServer/0?f=pjs...

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
You can see the information right after the fields on the REST endpoint not the REST with the JSON formatting.
http://services2.arcgis.com/DsE4m2IKL5jJE7JP/arcgis/rest/services/StreetLightsDomainProb/FeatureServ...

Right after the fields section towards the bottom of the page you will see Types or Templates depending on how your service was configured. When you see Types like in your original service you will see a section called Domains:. Under the Domains section is where the app will retrieve the field info on what fields a domain should be displayed and what those domains will be.

Russ
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
So does anyone know why the domains get lost when a feature class is published from ArcGIS desktop 10.1 SP1 to ArcGIS online?  You can see that the domains are there in the json format of the rest but they obviously are lost at the endpoint where collector gets them from 😕

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos
DavinShokes1
Occasional Contributor II
I experience the same issue as the original post. My dozen feature templates are based on a field with a domain of 100+ coded values.
In collector for iOS, the drop Down domain list is limited to the coded values found in the feature templates. I cannot change the attribute for this field unless the attribute has a unique symbol.
In collector for Android, the drop down list contains all values from the field's domain. The feature receives the default symbol, in my case "Other." I consider this to be working as intended.

Luci, I did not read which collector you are seeing domain issues on. Either way, it sounds like you changed symbology based on another field at some point through map viewer. Your changes overwrite the feature layer types and you loose all of your domains assigned to feature template fields. The domains still exist for the fields, but your feature templates have their own domain rules.

If you are courageous enough, you can use REST to update the feature service definition so that each "type" inherits the domain for each field. Pain in the rear though.

Russ, I have not yet looked at my service to see whether the domains are inherited or not, but how would that explain different results between the device OS?

Davin
Rainbow Treecare
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Luci, I did not read which collector you are seeing domain issues on.

We are having problems on the IOS version of Collector.  When adding or editing an existing feature, the 5 fields that use domains show up as text boxes and not pick lists.

Adding or editing existing features when we use ArcGIS Online performs as expected - The 5 fields that use domains all show the drop down domain pick lists. 

Either way, it sounds like you changed symbology based on another field at some point through map viewer. Your changes overwrite the feature layer types and you loose all of your domains assigned to feature template fields. The domains still exist for the fields, but your feature templates have their own domain rules.

No, we did not change symbology to use another field.  The map looked great on ArcGIS Online and in the Collector for IOS app.  All the domains were showing up in pick lists.  Then, when we used the map in Collector for IOS, the VERY FIRST feature we edited messed up everything, but only in Collector for IOS.   After Collector for IOS messed up, we looked at the map on ArcGIS Online and it still looks and performs as it should - the domain pick lists are all still there.  So it has to be a bug with Collector for IOS. 

If we have to have a feature template for every possible scenario of a feature - 5 fields with 5 domains per feature - each domain has between 2 and 20 codes - that is an impossible amount of feature templates to create or scroll thru to add the correct feature.   

I don't know how to fix it at this point.  We only have an IPad for data verification/addition so we cannot troubleshoot it on an android device.  We may have to look at using another software.

If you are courageous enough, you can use REST to update the feature service definition so that each "type" inherits the domain for each field. Pain in the rear though.

Sure, I am froggy, how would I go about updating the REST feature service definition?

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos