Please use an organizational account error on collector

Jump to solution
07-27-2013 03:06 PM
Michael_Edward_Brooks
New Contributor
I am trying the 30 day trial, and would like to see if the "collector" app would be useful to me in my business. I have the trial and have downloaded the collector app on my ipad. I cant login to the collector without an "organizational account". I realize that I only have a trial Global account, but is there any way to try out the collector as it would relate to my specific use prior to paying the for the subscription?
Thanks
Mike
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
There are two different accounts that you can get for no cost. One is a public account. Public accounts are not supported in Collector. The other is a 30-day free trial of an ArcGIS subscription. Those are supported with Collector. You will need to set up your organization, and then you will be able to log in with the account tied to that 30-day trial. By set up your organization, it is not paying for it. When you create the free trial you will get email that explains what you need to do.
Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Hey Mike,
The Collector app can only be accessed by users within a AGOL Organization and Portal account. I just set up a test trial account and I was able to login with that account once my organization was set up. Make sure your global account you are using is now a user, publisher or admin within the trial org you have set up.

Cheers
Russ
JoyStraley
New Contributor
Hello Russ,
My Global account is not a trial account it is a personal account I created over three years ago. Having read these threads is there a way to change my account setting to Admin,Organizational,User,Publisher? I have  successfully downloaded the App on my iPhone4.
However when I enter my Global credentials I get the message to please sign in with an organizational login. I do not know if my       organization has a Global account and I don't have an organization to affiliated myself with to practice and use the Data Collector
App. Should I just delete the App from my phone?
Thank you for providing this thread,
JoyStraley
0 Kudos
Michael_Edward_Brooks
New Contributor
Hey Mike,
The Collector app can only be accessed by users within a AGOL Organization and Portal account. I just set up a test trial account and I was able to login with that account once my organization was set up. Make sure your global account you are using is now a user, publisher or admin within the trial org you have set up.

Cheers
Russ

Russ,
Thanks for the response.
I am however having trouble with one particular part of this whole process. It is probably something very obvious, but I am not sure how to "set up the organization" when all that I have is the global account. I have looked over the sites for a couple of days, but just cant seem to find how/where to create this organization. I have found where to create a "group", but that is all at this point.
Thanks again, and please forgive me if I am missing the obvious.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
@JoyStraley
The free account that you have with ArcGIS Online will not work with the Collector app. It will work with the ArcGIS for iOS/Android/WP apps. The only way to set up your account to become an Admin/Publisher/User is to start up a ArcGIS Online Subscription. This 60 min seminar can help you out with understanding what the ArcGIS Online subscriptions are: http://training.esri.com/gateway/index.cfm?fa=catalog.webCourseDetail&courseid=2498

@btecinic
Once you buy full ArcGIS Online subscription or start up a trial subscription you will receive an email that will let you activate the subscription.

I would also recommend checking out the ArcGIS Online forums and posting your questions for subscription start up and setup there.

Hope this helps you out.
Russ
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III
Ok, I understand that I must have an organizational account and I do.  For example EPA's url is:
epa.maps.arcgis.com.  However, I'm getting the same error.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III
Ok, I understand that I must have an organizational account and I do.  For example EPA's url is:
epa.maps.arcgis.com.  However, I'm getting the same error.  Any ideas?

Ok figured out my own problem.  Apparently the user name is case sensitive.  That resolved my issue.  Hope this helps others.
0 Kudos
NigelAtkinson
New Contributor
I was hoping to use this with students (university). What are the options cost-wise . . . bear in mind that UK universities have "no money" . . .

@JoyStraley
The free account that you have with ArcGIS Online will not work with the Collector app. It will work with the ArcGIS for iOS/Android/WP apps. The only way to set up your account to become an Admin/Publisher/User is to start up a ArcGIS Online Subscription. This 60 min seminar can help you out with understanding what the ArcGIS Online subscriptions are: http://training.esri.com/gateway/index.cfm?fa=catalog.webCourseDetail&courseid=2498

@btecinic
Once you buy full ArcGIS Online subscription or start up a trial subscription you will receive an email that will let you activate the subscription.

I would also recommend checking out the ArcGIS Online forums and posting your questions for subscription start up and setup there.

Hope this helps you out.
Russ
0 Kudos
SteffenMortensen
New Contributor
Let me see if I understand this correctly...

My situation:
I signed up for an ArcGIS Online Free Trial account, in order to test the ArcGIS Collector App.
Within the ArcGIS Online interface, I created a new map, and uploaded a Feature Class (point feature) with around 400 points.
I did this for the purpose of testing the Collectors ability to function as data a collector in the field. I want to be able to collect new features as well as editing existing features in real-time.

My understanding:
As I understand it, I'm NOT able to test this functionality with my Free Trial account?
I need a paid subscription on ArcGIS Online in order to setup an "Organisation", and ultimately be able to log into the Collector app on my device?
Is that correct?

Thank you
0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
There are two different accounts that you can get for no cost. One is a public account. Public accounts are not supported in Collector. The other is a 30-day free trial of an ArcGIS subscription. Those are supported with Collector. You will need to set up your organization, and then you will be able to log in with the account tied to that 30-day trial. By set up your organization, it is not paying for it. When you create the free trial you will get email that explains what you need to do.
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos