Please help with batch exporting photo attachments in Collector

09-15-2017 01:56 PM
andystiver
New Contributor

I would like to batch export my photo attachments on my local network. I need an efficient way to have multiples photos that are associated with a single survey be named in a way that lets me know what survey they're tied to. I have discovered a couple of scripts that batch export the attachments to my local folder, but the script only address one attachment per survey. I believe this happens because the script is written in a way that it assumes the attachment table is a one to one with the feature layer. I typically have 5 photos per structure and my surveys entail hundreds of structures. I need to expedite the process of getting these photos off of the Portal and onto my local network. So far I have found little guidance on the best way to do this. 

This is the script that I have been using:

# imports the necessary modules to run
from arcpy import da
import os

attachTable = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0) # table in GDB holding attachments
origTable = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1) # layer in GDB holding features to which attachments belong
nameField = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(2) # field in origTable that contains more appropriate name for attachment
fileLocation = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(3) # folder where you want to save the photos

# create the cursor to search through the attachment tables; specify you only wish to search those three fields
attachCursor = da.SearchCursor(attachTable,['DATA','ATT_NAME','sc_portal_map_ld_globalid_2'])

# begin searching the table and storing the actual images, movies, etc
for attRow in attachCursor:
binaryRep = attRow[0]
fileName = attRow[1]
relID = attRow[2] # defines the relationship ID that we can use to join to the actual features (origTable)

# creates a cursor to sort the features; essentially to find a match for the relID above
originCursor = da.SearchCursor(origTable,['GlobalID', nameField])
for origRow in originCursor:
origID = origRow[0] # store the Global ID (which will match to the relID above for the correct attachment)
origName = origRow[1] # store the unique name of each record that you will use to save the attachment
if origID == relID: # stops the search after it finds the record which equals the ID from the attachments
break

# saves a file in the specified location that contains the name chosen by the user for that attachment
open(fileLocation + os.sep + origName + ".jpg",'wb').write(binaryRep.tobytes())

# iteratively deletes the searchCursor from the feature class so it can reboot for the next attachment!
del originCursor

# If you are creating script from Sratch in ArcGIS
# Parameter(0) Type = Table
# Parameter(1) Type = Feature Layer
# Parameter(2) Type = Field (obtained from Parameter(1)
# Parameter(3) Type = Folder (make sure it is an input)

12 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Tagging Python‌.  You might get more responses.  Formatting your code will also help, see: Code Formatting... the basics++

RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I have been experimenting with some code that may help you.  It exports attachments and saves them using a unique filename that includes the object ID from the feature layer, the object ID of the attachment, and text from a field in feature layer.

import arcpy  
import os
import re

origTable = r"C:\Path\To\Your.gdb\Layer"
attachTable = "{}__ATTACH".format(origTable) # if no attachTable given, append __ATTACH to origTable
nameField = "dataField"  # appropriate name field in origTable
fileLocation = r"C:\Path\To\Save\Directory"

origFieldsList = ["GlobalID", "OBJECTID", nameField] # GlobalID for linking, OBJECTID for renaming, nameField for renaming

# Use list comprehension to build a dictionary from a da SearchCursor  
valueDict = {r[0]:(r[1:]) for r in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(origTable, origFieldsList)}  

# REL_GLOBALID # 'sc_portal_map_ld_globalid_2' # GlobalID that links to origTable

with arcpy.da.SearchCursor(attachTable, ['DATA', 'ATT_NAME', 'ATTACHMENTID', 'REL_GLOBALID']) as cursor:
    for item in cursor:
        attachment = item[0] # attachment data

filenum = "ATT" + str(item[2]) + "_"
        filename = filenum + str(item[1])  # this will be the filename if linking fails

# store the Join value of the row being updated in a keyValue variable  
        keyValue = item[3] # REL_GLOBALID
        # verify that the keyValue is in the Dictionary  
        if keyValue in valueDict:  
            # transfer the values stored under the keyValue from the dictionary to the updated fields.  
            obID = valueDict[keyValue][0]
            # remove invalid filename characters, replace spaces and periods, limit length
            namefield = re.sub('[^0-9a-zA-Z]+', '_', valueDict[keyValue][1])[:18]
            # Create a unique filename  ObjectID_AttachmentID_namefield.ext
            ext = filename.rsplit('.', 1)[-1] # keep extension of original file
            filename = "{}_{}_{}.{}".format(obID,item[2],namefield,ext)

print "Writing: {}{}{}".format(fileLocation, os.sep, filename)
        open(fileLocation + os.sep + filename, 'wb').write(attachment.tobytes())
        del item
        del filenum
        del filename
        del attachment

del valueDict
print "Done"‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Since you are using Portal, you may need to make some adjustments.  I was working with a downloaded geodatabase from AGOL.  Although it is not set up as a tool, this could be done.

Hope this helps.

References:

How To: Batch export attachments from a feature class

Turbo Charging Data Manipulation with Python Cursors and Dictionaries (Example 2 method is used here)

andystiver
New Contributor

Thank you Randy! I'll be heading into work tonight to give this a try. Stay tuned for my results!

0 Kudos
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

We keep getting an error in line 17, any insight?

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

My initial guess would be that you are starting with an original feature table called "Field_Point" and that the linked attachment table is expected to be "Field_Point__ATTACH".  Depending on your geodatabase type, it may be using a different naming system than what the code expects.  Changes to lines 5-6 may be required.  I would use Catalog to explore your database and verify the names of the feature and attachment tables.

AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

Great work Randy.

Just in case anyone needs this:

If you already have the nameField you want your download files to be named after in the attached table, and don't need the feature class for the naming:

import arcpy
from arcpy import da
import os
import re

inTable = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)
fileLocation = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1)
nameField = "ADDRESS"

with da.SearchCursor(inTable, ['DATA', 'ATT_NAME', nameField, 'OBJECTID']) as cursor:
    for item in cursor:
        attachment = item[0]
        newfilename = re.sub('[^0-9a-zA-Z]+', '_', str(item[2]))
        oid = 'OID' + str(item[3])
        oldfilename = str(item[1])
        ext = oldfilename.rsplit('.', 1)[-1] # keep extension of original file
        newwinfilename = "{}_{}.{}".format(newfilename, oid, ext)
        open(fileLocation + os.sep + newwinfilename, 'wb').write(attachment.tobytes())
        del item
        del newfilename
        del oid
        del oldfilename
        del newwinfilename
        del attachment‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Also, if the attachments are not related using the GlobalID/GUID (for example, related using OBJECTID/REL_OBJECTID instead), you can make them as such using these methods discussed here:

Preserving a GlobalID while moving data between Feature Classes 

https://community.esri.com/people/MKellyesri-ireland-ie-esridist/blog/2016/11/18/related-data-in-arc...

written by:

Alex Friant 

Michael Kelly

Other references:

How To: Batch export attachments from a feature class in ArcGIS Pro 

arcgis desktop - Renaming attachments from a geodatabase - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exch... 

0 Kudos
HannahGray
New Contributor II

Thanks Randy, 

I keep running into trouble with line 36, would you be able to help with this?

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

It looks like you might be using python 3.  Try:

print(f"Writing: {fileLocation}{os.sep}{filename}")

If this doesn't solve the issue, confirm which version of Python you are using.

JillianUebe
New Contributor

Hi Randy

I am very new to ArcMap and I tried this script but got the following error

I am guessing there is something I am doing wrong or do I need to change something in the script

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\rugum\Documents\ArcGIS\My ArcGIS Files\My ToolBoxes\Renaming_Export_Attachments.py", line 13, in <module>
    valueDict = {r[0]:(r[1:]) for r in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(origTable, origFieldsList)}
RuntimeError: cannot open 'C:\Path\To\Your.gdb\Layer'

Failed to execute (RenamingAttachments).
Failed at Thu Jul  2 09:09:07 2020 (Elapsed Time: 0.24 seconds)
0 Kudos