Photos and Collector

02-12-2015 07:33 AM
SaskiaCohick
New Contributor II

Is there anywhere I can find directions for how to add a photo to an editable layer in my AGOL map?  I can edit geometry and attributes, but have no idea how to attach a photo.  Can't locate any instructional/help info that is actually helpful.  Could someone point me in the right direction please.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrendanO_Neill
New Contributor III

In order to attach a photo you will need to enable attachments when you create your Service from a Feature Class in ArcMap. This tutorial will take you through an example of how to prepare your Feature Class so that photo collection and editing can be done in Collector and ArcGIS Online respectively:

Prepare your data in ArcGIS for Desktop—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Brendan

0 Kudos
SaskiaCohick
New Contributor II

Thanks, Brendan, but I already have done everything in that tutorial.  I enabled attachments on the feature classes as it explains.  Do I need to do something to the service itself?  I have the most updated version of Collector and there appears to be no method for taking the photo in Collector.  Do I just have to take it in my photo app and then manually attach them back in the office.  That seems to be very counter productive but I cannot find any steps to follow to track what I am missing.

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

For some help and details on working with attachments, please see the help: Work with attachments—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Please let me know if there are other questions that doesn't answer for you.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
DaveTewksbury
New Contributor III

Saskia,

Once you click on the + (plus sign) in the blue menu bar of Collector you are taken to the collect screen. Once you select a features symbology which you designed in the original service that you uploaded a new window opens with 4 items in the blue menu bar. They are in order from L to R Cancel, a gear symbol, a stylized map symbol, a camera and the text Submit.

Click on the camera icon and a new window opens entitled Attachments. Click on the ADD button in the window and you get a choice to Take a Photo or Video or Choose from Library. If you choose take a photo, the camera app opens and you take a photo as normal. Confirm, Use Photo and photo is added to the attachment screen. You can take multiple photos at a given location, simply tap the Add button again.

Once done, in the upper left of the attachment window is the text DONE in very light blue that is hard to see.

This take you back to your main screen and if all data is correct hit the SUBMIT text in the upper right to update the AGOL data.

If you want the images associated with the collected features for use in ArcMap, you need to export the AGOL data as a file geodatabase (FGDB). Exporting as a shapefile does not attach the images.

As mentioned previously you need to have established attachments when the original FGDB was created for uploading to AGOL and use in Collector.

Hope this helps.

Dave

0 Kudos