Only works with ArcGIS.com Enterprise?

02-01-2013 01:40 PM
MichaelBishopp
Occasional Contributor
I think the title is self explanatory...Does Collector just work with ArcGIS.com Enterprise or also ArcGIS.com personal account?

Michael
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Michael,

Organizations that have purchased either an ArcGIS Online subscription or signed up for a free 30-day trial can access capabilities in both Operations Dashboard and Collector.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/smartphone-apps/01ww0000000s000000.htm

Denise
0 Kudos
MatthewFletcher
Occasional Contributor
So there's no way to use the "Collector for ArcGIS" app or the "Operations Dashboard" with our in house Standard Enterprise ArcGIS Server?  Seems bogus if I have to additionally purchase an ArcGIS Online subscription. 

I see potential, but I want to serve out map services we manage internally, not via the ESRI cloud.  Like what can be done in the ArcGIS for ESRI app.  Hope this functionality comes out via an update.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
You can use your arcgis feature services with the ArcGIS Collector, you just need to login into ArcGIS Online or Portal with your organizational account and create a webmap that includes your servers feature services, but you will need an organization subscription to create a webmap for use in the collector
0 Kudos
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III
am i missing something?

requirements:
free arcgis.com account
feat. service w/ editable sde feat class
arcgis.com web map
collector app

-created FeatureServer service on our arcgis server that contains a sde feat. class.
-logged into arcgis.com free account
-created a new web map, added the feat. service layer (it was secured), saved the web map.

-installed the collector iOS app
- logged in using my arcgis.com login, saw the web map, loaded it,
-logged into the feat. service
-collected pts, attributes, photos, ect...

back at the arcgis.com web map all collected pts visible, along w/ attributes & photos. Point being, no organizational account, portal or subscription was used.

if I remember correctly, Arcgis online was started free, and now seems like it's being pushed to customers over arcgis for server. It's unfortunate that even though you own a server and can publish services, you are somewhat limited in their consumption. When the 'free' plug does get pulled on the collector, (even for arcgis for server customers), I'm sure it eventually will, we'll just code our own JS mobile app; easy enough, but it can't be done in a hour like setting up the collector app.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
I confirm that you need a subscription. Perahps there is a temporary problem.
0 Kudos
JimMeuse
New Contributor
I have an ArcGIS.com personal account and a Nexus 7 with Collector.  I can create maps in ArcGIS Online which contain editable layers and view them in Collector.  But tapping the arrow to the right of the result window shows only options Show Details and Zoom To.  Edit Feature and Delete are not available.  Based on what I'm reading in this thread, these options are not available because I have only a personal account. Is this correct?
0 Kudos
danbecker
I have an ArcGIS.com personal account and a Nexus 7 with Collector.  I can create maps in ArcGIS Online which contain editable layers and view them in Collector.  But tapping the arrow to the right of the result window shows only options Show Details and Zoom To.  Edit Feature and Delete are not available.  Based on what I'm reading in this thread, these options are not available because I have only a personal account. Is this correct?

i have a personal account and iPad using collector for iOS. I can select an existing point and tap the arrow to the right of the result window and see all the options including edit feature and delete.

is your 'editable layer' in your arcgis online map a feature service on a arcgis server?
0 Kudos
JimMeuse
New Contributor
The editable layer is in my arcgis online map (added via Add >> Add Layer From File), not a feature service on a arcgis server (which I guess would be added by Add >> Add Layer From Web).
0 Kudos
danbecker
that could be the reason why you can't edit existing features. I'm using a feature service.

As a test you could add this to your web map using the add -- layer from web --
http://sampleserver5.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Energy/HSEC/FeatureServer/0

This is a sample featureService from esri.
0 Kudos