offline relate tables not working on iOS

11-12-2015 04:45 AM
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

it works fine on my Nexus 5

it works online on iphone 6 and iPad air 2

but when you download the map, the titles of the relate tables look different from when they were online. can't view the content of the tables. will see "no valid location" when trying to collect data in the relate tables by selecting the related feature .

really strange behavour ! looks like it using some cached tables, where are the tables cached if there are caching mechanism on iOS.

I really don't like using iOS as an working tool, but my clients love it!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

see here: related tables and offline editing

1. We have our own on-premise server 10.3.1; not federated to AGOL or portal.

2. In ArcGIS online, when adding the token-secured feature service as an item, I usually select "store credentials with item". This eliminates an additional feature service prompt for credentials

3. Add the same item to a new webmap, save, share it

4. download the webmap for offline use in Collector

5. In offline mode, select a feature and attempt to access it's related records. You will get "no valid location" in the right-hand pane.

The workaround is during step #2. DO NOT store credentials with the service item. Proceed with the remaining steps. You will now be able to access the related features.

There were earlier bugs in Collector with credentials stored in service items, but they have since been fixed. This bug is related to the previous ones, but different as it only pertains to related records. From my testing it was introduced at version 10.3.4. We were using related records with stored service item credentials at Collector 10.3.3 and did not have this problem.

simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Dan.

The problem is, if I don't save the credential in the item, the secure layer won't even be shown on my iPad, let alone taking it offline. there's no popup window for credential when I open the map or download the map. "invalid token" will be returned when trying to download the map.

ESRI needs to fix this bug, since secure layer should be a very common scenario.

Hi Dan, I took your advice and managed to display the secure layer on iPhone, but I still have trouble to take it offline. The reason I could not see the layer at the first place was probably due to permission issues.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

We have created an issue about " "no valid location"  with storing credential. The dev team will look at it.

simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

is it possible to make it a high priority issue? it would be good if it can be solved in next release.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

We plan to fix it in the next release.

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Miaogeng,

Do you know why the offline relate tables look different from the online relate tables as shown in the first and the second screenshot? this really puzzles me. this only happens on iOS, it's OK on my android phone.

thanks.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

I can't reproduce the issue you saw. Do you see the issue in your other related table maps?

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

I was not aware of this issue when I was using other maps.

The only special thing about this map is, its feature service is from a local ArcGIS server (federated with a portal at version 3.7) which is hosted in another department. I don't know its exact version number, but I assume it's 10.1. will that be an issue when the ArcGIS server version doesn't match the ArcGIS online (version 3.9 now in portal terms) or portal version?

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

To give you a better view what it looks like, I got some screen snapshots:

(add the secure layer as an item, but credential is not saved with the item)

When you select a feature and view its relate tables in the online mode:

IMG_0498.PNG

After you take the map offline, and select the feature, the relate tables looks different. the table names look like from my previous web map in which I renamed the tables to make it look better. this is really strange!!

IMG_0499.PNG

Still in the offline mode, when you click one table (at this time, a feature should have been selected already), and try to add a record, collector starts spinning to acquire location. it's totally mad ..............or, I am abusing the technology...

IMG_0500.PNG

0 Kudos