Offline map "Failed to download"

12-20-2018 08:21 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I am having troubles with Collector and downloading offline area. I am working with the latest Collector app and have been attempting to download areas for offline use. When I attempt to download these areas on my iPad, after choosing the area and scale, i click to download and shortly after the download fails. I have offline mode turned on of the map and the sharing settings for all the layers set to allow  for downloading and editing. I cant think of any other boxes to check. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? I should also say that i did not experience this issue with Aurora Beta, while using the exact same map, the issue seems to have come up after Aurora went to Collector. 

Any help would be awesome 

Thanks

7 Replies
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

I have experienced this intermittently. For instance, I am able to download an offline area for a map to my phone using the LTE network, and a co-worker is unable to download the same offline area on her iPad over WiFi. She does not see an error, it starts downloading, then that disappears and nothing happens.

Erica
0 Kudos
MarcCoderre3
New Contributor II

Anybody find a resolution to this?  I have had minimal success downloading a map to the new collector and it seems very flaky.  No reason for why the download fails is given...thanks ESRI for another headache...just what I needed.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson

Hi Marc,

I even went as far as opening an Esri Support Services case to get help with this issue, and it was a complete waste of time. The analyst seemed more interested in blaming this on the Verizon network than finding an actual solution. We've found that creating Offline Areas at the web map level is a waste of time as they do not download (and in some cases spend days "generating"), but that we are usually able to create an on-demand / custom offline area directly within the application and download that.

Erica

Erica
MarcCoderre3
New Contributor II

Hi Erica, I've posted my findings on what I have done to resolve these issues in this other thread...

https://community.esri.com/thread/227058-new-collector-aurora 

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Erica

Are you using the Esri Base maps to create offline areas or your own ones?

Can you download maps in the classic collector?

erica_poisson

Hi John,

I am able to download maps in Collector Classic with no issues.

In the new Collector, we have side loaded base maps to our iPads, but Collector still prompts us to download the default basemap that has been saved with the web map. When I went into my web map settings to the Offline Advanced Options and selected the option "device will use a basemap it already has", this didn't make a difference for me. I was still prompted to download the default basemap.

Erica
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi everyone:

Great topic; I too was having issues downloading a map for offline use. I'm not sure if this will be a fix for everyone, but my inability to download an offline map was related to not initially having Global IDs. Once I added Global IDs and republished, the map downloaded fine.

Hope this helps. Jeff