Offline Collector from ArcGIS 10.1

Jump to solution
07-22-2014 01:20 AM
JanetRogers
Occasional Contributor II

I have been through most of this Collector forum and I can't quite find an answer to a couple of simple (?) questions that I have.

1. My company is still on 10.1 for Desktop and Servers.  If I publish a Hosted Service on AGOL from my 10.1 desktop can this then be enabled at AGOL for offline editing in Collector?
  2. How easy is it to get the data back from the Hosted Service to my desktop?

Short answers will be fine.  I really just need to know if this can be done or not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Janet,

If you publish your features as a hosted feature service to an AGOL organisation account you will be able to use these for disconnected editing in collector. At anytime you can export the features back to a file geodatabase, see here:

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/use-services.htm

Regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Janet,

If you publish your features as a hosted feature service to an AGOL organisation account you will be able to use these for disconnected editing in collector. At anytime you can export the features back to a file geodatabase, see here:

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/use-services.htm

Regards

Anthony

LaurenYee
Occasional Contributor

Looks like for offline editing you need 10.2.2
Supported data—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Yes but publishing to a AGOL account will ensure that the latest versions are being used

0 Kudos
JanetRogers

Thanks for your advice; I can now go ahead with my proof of concept and know it should work OK.

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain

Your second requirement might be tough If you are looking to try and keep a hosted service in sync with a local data set.  Right now this requires a manual process where you filter out the updates made to the hosted sservices, duplicate them in the local and republish to add the local updates to the hosted.  If the edits are only occurring in one location things get easier.

Chris M

0 Kudos
NickHetrick

I think there are some future tools as well coming to synch from ArcGIS.com hosted feature services to your enterprise geodatabases on site. I am in the same boat we are still using 10.1 unfortunately but really have a huge need for disconnected editing.

LaurenYee
Occasional Contributor

Me as well, I was disappointed to learn we couldn't use 10.1

0 Kudos
JanetRogers

I have managed to get the feature service for the Collector task onto AGOL.  I can add and edit features in a browser.  But not  having much luck on my iPhone.

Two issues:

1. When I use "Create feature layer"  from an existing feature layer service on my ArcGIS server (I have had no luck publishing the layer from ArcMap), it correctly brings over the domain information for the fields.  If I try to update these on my iPhone it tells me it can't convert from nvarchar to integer, so it seems to be taking the text of the field's domain, and not converting it to the long integer required by the feature class.

2. When I try to go offline, it tries to download but then tells me that it can't connect to the server.  Now because I am using a feature service from a 10.1 server, I have not been able to enable archiving (because versioning must be on for archiving to work in 10.1).  Is that likely to be causing this problem?  If so, is there any way to enable archiving on the feature layer from AGOL?  Or is this likely to be something else entirely?

0 Kudos