Select to view content in your preferred language

Not all layers get loaded in Collector for ArcGIS

Jump to solution
12-10-2018 07:48 PM
MarcoPoetsch_ret
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I created a map for collecting data via Collector for ArcGIS (Version 18.1.0).

This map includes three editable layers (1x points, 1x lines and 1x polygons)
However, when I open this map in Collector for ArcGIS on the iPad (iOS 12) only one of these layers get loaded into the map. Which one seems to be randomly...

The error message I got is:

Domain: com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error

Code: 3054

Description:The item to be created already exists in the database

The three layers were created via the AGOL collector template and have the same fields.

Tags (2)
43 Replies
RobBlash
Regular Contributor

Kylie Donia‌ can we have  a full accounting of what can cause this error? I have a layer that was working fine until I added a domain value and updated the edit templates. Now I an seeing this error. These are basic processes that shouldn't be causing an error somewhere else.

Esri needs to be more transparent here. I (and I'm sure most others) do not have the time to spend an hour+ on the phone with tech support to ultimately be told to republish the data. The users need to understand what's going on.

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rob - Thanks for your patience on this. So far, we have identified a few causes of this error (one being the duplicate coded value domains that we've talked about here, and which ArcGIS Online has fixed for new data). We are still in the process of identifying and handling the various causes and find workarounds for them (without republishing) where possible.

The other cause we've noticed has to do with editing coded value domains while the map is open in Collector (and in that case, restarting the app is the workaround, as reloading the map isn't enough). We are still in the process of understanding the conditions required to hit this issue. Are you doing your domain editing on a hosted feature layer? If so, does the map open if you restart the app?

This is why I recommended  

A support request is the right path forward. We have seen this for some different reasons, and you might be hitting one of those, and not the one that was fixed.

We aren't sure all the cases yet and don't want to send people down the wrong path if in fact their case doesn't meet the requirements of one that we know. When working with support, we get the details and information to reproduce the error the same way you are, and can use that to understand if it is a different case and what is being encountered.

Know that we are trying to understand the causes for this so that we can fix them, and thanks for helping us do so!

Esri Education Team
RobBlash
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply Kylie. Apologies if I came off rude in my post, however there is a bit of frustration on my end when hitting these sort of issues, particularly because I've had a handful of bugs impact my workflows between the latest AGOL and Suvey123 updates. With that said, I do understand how contacting support is integral to the process, but please understand that it is a time consuming effort. A single support request can eat up 3-4 hours of my time (time that's simply not in my project budgets) and they often do not result in a resolution to the problem. Also, as a consultant, I'm always working with client's data so sharing the data for support requests is quite often not possible.

In regards to the specific issue I was posting about, I made a domain update to a hosted feature service layer via the item's settings page. Afterward, the layer failed to load. I had Collector open on my iPad when making the update, and (as you stated) re-opening the map didn't help. I can't recall if I shut down Collector anywhere along the way or simply re-loaded the map after each attempted fix (I tried a whole bunch of things), but in the end the layer did show up again after deleting the domain entirely then re-creating it.

BrianMcElroy
New Contributor II

We were also receiving this error on the new version of Collector while the web map worked fine in AGO and Collector Classic. Turns out we had two layers in the same feature service with an identical field name like described above, but our issue was the values in the domain lists were not in the same order. Once we reordered the values in one list to match the other, the error stopped.

0 Kudos