Not all layers get loaded in Collector for ArcGIS

Jump to solution
12-10-2018 07:48 PM
MarcoPoetsch_ret
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I created a map for collecting data via Collector for ArcGIS (Version 18.1.0).

This map includes three editable layers (1x points, 1x lines and 1x polygons)
However, when I open this map in Collector for ArcGIS on the iPad (iOS 12) only one of these layers get loaded into the map. Which one seems to be randomly...

The error message I got is:

Domain: com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error

Code: 3054

Description:The item to be created already exists in the database

The three layers were created via the AGOL collector template and have the same fields.

Tags (2)
43 Replies
ChadMinteer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kylie, no we have layers in the same file geodatabase which have fields with the same name which use the same domain (which of course is how domains work by design in a file geodatabase) which have been published to a single feature service in ArcGIS Online.  After the feature service is in ArcGIS Online, the user (item owner, administrator) will change the domain list for one of the fields and then this error will occur.  How can the issue be fixed in that case?

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Ahh gotcha. This is a different way to hit the same error message (but is a different root issue), and unfortunately isn't one we've fixed yet. I've been able to repro what you are seeing. I'm guessing what happens is that ArcGIS Online has a single name for the domain, and leaves the name as-is when the one domain is edited. But now you have two different domains with the same name in the same hosted feature layer (which is what causes issues in Runtime, and so in Collector). If the changes to the domain are reverted, both layers load again. Let me follow up on this a bit and get back to you, but one thing that resolves it is if you were to publish the feature classes as separated hosted feature layers instead of as a single one. 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
ChadMinteer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kylie, that is correct.  

Publishing the feature classes as separate hosted feature layers is not a possibility in this case.  This is a production service with data in it so implementing that "solution" would be very problematic.

One thing that seems to "fix" it is to delete the domain list and re-create it.  I would not want to do this manually for all of the affected domains though.  

I would be very grateful if you are able to follow up and find out what other solutions there may be.  This is pretty major for us.

0 Kudos
ChadMinteer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kylie,

Can the scope of the changes to fix services in AGOL be expanded to include hosted feature services created from Pro?  I can see no way to fix current production services without major changes to schema or deployment which would impact all client apps using the services (we have a JavaScript API Web app, and a cross-platform mobile app, both of which are in use at more than 20 customer locations).  Currently it looks like this means we have to revert our mobile solution from Runtime 100.5 back to Runtime 100.1 (the last version of runtime that didn't have some bug that prevented us from using it, and which does not have this problem with the LoadAsync() choking on layers).  That's obviously not a good long term solution.  We want to be on the latest Esri Runtime for many reasons.

Currently we've opened a support case about this aspect of the issue, Esri Case #02317535 - Not all layers get loaded (in Collector, or in Runtime app).  That case is new and hasn't yet been worked or escalated.

We are just looking for a workable solution at this point.  Any help you can provide is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for your use cases and feedback! The October 2019 update to ArcGIS Online included a fix so that when editing domains in ArcGIS Online, domains are renamed for all hosted feature services, not just those created through ArcGIS Online. This means that the fix of editing the domains again to get them renamed will now work for feature services that were published through ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks again for your feedback and workflows, as it helped us to prioritize the work and get this fix pushed out.

Esri Education Team
MelanieWawryk
Occasional Contributor III

This is still happening but not always from a 10.8.1 oracle geodatabase service uploaded to AGOL from ArcMap. We have lots of standard fields with the same name (CATEGORY, SUBCATEGORY, COVER_SHAPE, STATUS, OWNERSHIP etc) that have different domains and most of the time there is no issue, however, it is still cropping up as an error occasionally. We are editing the layer on the geodatabase through Field Maps and Collector where the error prevents the layer from loading. The error does not happen in Collector Classic. It would be great if the next update to Collector and Field Maps could ignore this issue. It is entirely reasonable for fields with the same name to have different domains across a geodatabase so that condition should not cause an error that prevents a layer from loading.

BrianMcElroy
New Contributor II

Kylie, instead modifying the values by adding/removing a space or something similar, should reordering the values in the list also result in a new domain name?

We were receiving this error and found through the JSON that we had two layers in a feature service with an identical field name and an identical domain name, but a different order of values. The domain existed in the original geodatabase the data was posted from so it must've been reordered through AGO.

After reordering one list to match the other, the error stopped. However, the JSON still shows the same domain name.

0 Kudos
EricPescatore2
New Contributor II

Good afternoon may as well add another Project to the pile. A feature layer published a little under a year ago has stopped working in the New Version of Collector with the ERROR: 3054.  This seems to have occurred with either update to AGOL. As of yesterday 3/26/2019 there we no problems and now we are encountering issues.

I am not entirely sure and will need to re-read this thread as to the FIX. But republishing the feature service may not be an option for us.  It does seem that Classic Collector works fine with the Dataset, but if this error is related to "New" Collector. This is quite unfortunate.

Even creating a new empty MAP results with the same error with the affected feature service. 

Is the best bet to open a TICKET with ESRI and use business partner credits to get a direct line?

AndrewKlimek
New Contributor II

I am experiencing same issue.  Worked fine in Collector yesterday (March 27); get Error 3054 today.  Not experiencing the issue when using Classic.

ScottKiley
Occasional Contributor II

I worked with Esri support on this issue. The fix was to export the hosted feature layer having the problem to a file geodatabase and re-publish it back to the organization. It's probably also a good idea to make a new web.

0 Kudos