Mixed results used tiled caches in Collector.

Jump to solution
07-28-2014 11:46 PM
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to get as much of our internal tile cache onto Collector as possible.

We have a 1.2+TB tile cache which is built down to 1:1K.

BUT it's not built down to 1K everywhere.  In some areas we only build down to 1:18K.

I've had previous success using Export Tile Cache from our physical tile cache into a TPK and using in Collector (90GB tpk file).

The reason it's only 90GB out of an original 1.2TB is the fact we're only building down 1K when there is high quality imagery.

But it seems to be hit and miss.  Sometimes when I make these exports all they do is crash Collector.

Our tile caches are all Web Merc.

I don't want to use the standard procedure described in the doco Go offline since we have tile caches already built and to run them again for the extent we're talking about is ludicrous.

Are there some undocumented setting when using Export Tile Cache to TPK tool to make it work?   e.g. it seems you can't just export an Area of Interest. You have to export the entire extent.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaryMorris1
Occasional Contributor

We found the reason for the crash on that particular map.  Russ already sent you a PM with a workaround.  We have identified a fix for this and it will be included in an update to Collector that will be available in a couple weeks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Peter,

You should be able to set an area of interest using the export map server cache in the toolbox:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//005400000013000000

I think the problem you will get is if you try and export your whole cache in one go it will try and create empty tiles for those areas that have no cache, you might have to just export your AOIs that have the cache down to 1K seperately.

You can then sideload the mapping into collector using the process explained in this blog:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2014/03/23/using-your-own-basemap-layers-with-collector-for-arcgis...

Regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
PeterTimmers

Hi, So you've had success exporting areas of interest!?

As I said above, I did a successful export of an entire extent to tpk and it does have missing tiles - large numbers of them. 90GB and working well.

I tried the same proceedure yesterday, exporting down to 36K for the same tile cache (admittedly with new tiles as we updated the imagery) and all it's doing is crashing Collector.  It was only about 9GB.  Sideloaded into Collector and it appears after a restart.  Go to download map and choose the 9GB tpk and I get to the Download button enabling - click it and Collector crashes.   Tested with iPad2 and iPad mini and it's crashing both of them.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Does the map download successfully when you do not select the tpk?

0 Kudos
PeterTimmers

No. Collector instantly exits (crashes?).

I'm suspiscous it's missing tiles.  But as I said above we do have a ~90GB export that does work and it has a large number of missing tiles.

We have a big state and we only have high resolution imagery for what is a small proportion, so our imagery in most places is built down to 1:18K, and where there is imagery down to ~1K. 

I went and exported the entire tile cache to tpk down to 4K again and it's 119GB... an increase in size from the 90GB because we've obviously covered more of the state with high res imagery.  It's unfortunate since the 128GB ipads real storage appears to be 115GB.

I've tried to export AOIs of the state down to 4K and the tool is completely failing with scales where there are missing tiles (I think).

I might start off some tile cache constructions in areas that will have no missing tiles.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If possible could you send us the crash logs to Collector4ArcGIS@esri.com

You can go to the iOS Settings app > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostics & Usage Data

Under there you should see an Collector_timestamp table cell. Tapping on that and copying that report into an email would be great and could help us determine the issue.

Russ

0 Kudos
SarahMoussadji
Occasional Contributor

Hey Russell,

I've got a client who is also getting some inconsistent behaviour when using a tile package that has been side loaded on his device for use with the Collector app (although, I have his tile package and have not been able to replicate on my end). I'm wondering if this collector_timestamp table cell exists on an android OS and, if so, can you tell me where to find it on the device?

Thanks,

Sarah

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

What is the exact issue you are seeing?

0 Kudos
SarahMoussadji
Occasional Contributor

Hi Russell,

The issue is that when my client is using his own tile package as a basemap in collector and he lets the device go into sleep mode, when he turns the device on again he gets a message saying 'unfortunately Collector has stopped'.

He is on Nexus7 running Android OS4.4.4. I have asked him to upgrade to Collector 10.2.5. A recap of the steps are:

1. Side load tpk to device

2. Download map to device and choose option to use tpk as basemap (choose the entire extent of the tpk as the area)

3. Open Map and zoom into an area

4. Enable airplane mode (to simulate being in the field)

5. Let device go into sleep mode (2 minutes)

6. Let device sit for 10 minutes

7. Turn device on - he will see error message at that point

I have not been able to replicate here on a Nexus phone or a samsung tablet, which is why I haven't submitted the issue to Esri Inc support at this point (I am testing with an account on my client's organization site, with the same map he is using). I am currently getting the client's colleague to test the workflow on another device. I wanted to see if I could find that crash log in case it turned up any more info to help narrow down the problem.

Thanks,
Sarah

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I tired reproing this with the N7 running 10.2.5 and I couldn't get it to crash. Can you let me know if the customer is still seeing the issue after 10.2.5?

Thanks

Russ

0 Kudos