Maps Shared to Organisation Not in Collector

Jump to solution
09-03-2019 06:02 PM
MPC_KineticGIS_Department
Occasional Contributor

There is this nice sharing feature in ArcGIS Online for Sharing with your entire organisation, pretty stock standard feature very useful. Collector for reasons unknown ignores this feature, you must share your maps to a group that your users must also be a member of. This is just getting crazy with the amount of hoops you need to go through to share content with collector.

Can someone please explain to me why this is intended behaviour?

Collector for ArcGIS

"Note:

In addition to the data requirements, a map appears in Collector if you created it or if you are a member of a group with which the map is shared in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise. The map must also be enabled for use in Collector."

If you don't want content in collector just untick the use in collector box on the map....

Isn't your organisation the first group you are a member of?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! Great question - let me explain how we came to that design. The sharing of a map is done by the owner of the map. Some owners share with the org as a whole, to make sure those who need their map can get to it. But often, it's not the whole org that needs a map. For Collector, the mobile workers in the field have a particular task to accomplish and use a specific set of maps to do so. And one org may have multiple groups of mobile workers with different, distinct tasks and maps. That makes for potentially a lot of maps that need to show up in Collector (and can't be excluded from it) but aren't needed by all members of the org. Also, since Collector is a mobile app, we want to keep it easy for the mobile worker to find the maps they need without having a lot that doesn't apply to them. So we limit it to maps that are targetting the particular signed-in mobile worker

Think of it like going through your email: there is a lot there. Some messages are sent directly to you. Some are for a mailing list you want to be in (like Groups in ArcGIS). And some is sent out by lists that got your email, so is somewhat applicable to you, but you might not want to get messages from (like org shared maps). Now, in my email, I can delete what I don't want to see, or block senders. But mobile workers in Collector see the maps that are put there for them, so as part of the app design we aimed to keep that as relevant to the individual as possible.

Now, if you find that this isn't ideal for you and your organization, could you share why you want to be able to share with the org and have those maps included in Collector?

Thanks!

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! Great question - let me explain how we came to that design. The sharing of a map is done by the owner of the map. Some owners share with the org as a whole, to make sure those who need their map can get to it. But often, it's not the whole org that needs a map. For Collector, the mobile workers in the field have a particular task to accomplish and use a specific set of maps to do so. And one org may have multiple groups of mobile workers with different, distinct tasks and maps. That makes for potentially a lot of maps that need to show up in Collector (and can't be excluded from it) but aren't needed by all members of the org. Also, since Collector is a mobile app, we want to keep it easy for the mobile worker to find the maps they need without having a lot that doesn't apply to them. So we limit it to maps that are targetting the particular signed-in mobile worker

Think of it like going through your email: there is a lot there. Some messages are sent directly to you. Some are for a mailing list you want to be in (like Groups in ArcGIS). And some is sent out by lists that got your email, so is somewhat applicable to you, but you might not want to get messages from (like org shared maps). Now, in my email, I can delete what I don't want to see, or block senders. But mobile workers in Collector see the maps that are put there for them, so as part of the app design we aimed to keep that as relevant to the individual as possible.

Now, if you find that this isn't ideal for you and your organization, could you share why you want to be able to share with the org and have those maps included in Collector?

Thanks!

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
MPC_KineticGIS_Department
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate the complexities of that in exceptionally large organisations this could pose an issue. I fail to see how it's any different to the maps available in Arc Online.

My thought would be that a permission level for the Organisation for sharing to the whole organisation would be a better approach to the issue.

My use scenario is that I get a lot of issues with maps not coming up in collector for lower technically capable personell. The simple solution was to create a single Map share with the entire organisation with a few layers with specific permissions and allows me to identify whats going wrong for that user very quickly.

The problem being this map isn't coming up in collector as I had only shared it with the entire organisation. Trouble shooting is more complex now the Admin Tools For Arc Online no longer works.

We control the maps shared with the whole organisation very tightly and only have 2 shared this way.

0 Kudos
ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

Hello!

I'm here because I have the same issue as the OP. I'm the GIS ops manager at a university and we'd like to make and share maps to collect species observations on campus. It would be great to share to the whole university since we don't know which users would need access. To get around this, we have used a generic login (which was added to the group)  and then collected names as a text field. I don't like this option but for <kinda> public participation projects, it seems our only option. Any ideas? Thanks for any help! Beth

0 Kudos