Map not displayed in collector

06-04-2013 07:05 AM
DiegoAraujo1
New Contributor
Howdy,

I am trying to set up an Ap for my office to use in the field and collector looks like it is exactly what I need, however, in trying to set it up, my trial maps are not visible on Collector. I can make maps on ArcGIS web, follow the tutorial, and all seems great, it is saved on the web server, I can even find it on the ArcGIS Ap, but I can NOT find my map on Collector.

I have tried to tutorial that is provided, inputted all basemaps/layers, and can find that generated map on all three spots (web server, ArcGIS Ap, Collector Ap) but when I try and make a map with my data, I cannot find it on Collector. It seems like there is one tiny step Im missing somewhere that will allow me to make my map 'go live' for use.

Any suggestions are greatly, greatly appreciated

ffd
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
33 Replies
AndrewBrown1
Occasional Contributor II
When you go to the Map Details page do you see any Application Properties towards the bottom of the page. The properties should have Routing, Measure, Basemaps enabled by default.

Russ

Thanks. All I did was re-save the map and it appeared. Weird.
CA_-_ReneGonzalez__GISS_
New Contributor III
I have noticed that if you save the map in ArcGIS Explorer, the map will not show up in collector. If you re-save the map in ArcGIS Online then the map will show in collector
0 Kudos
JadeDean
New Contributor
I experienced this isssue yesterday and was eventually able to resolve it on an iPad. Now my troubles lie with getting the same map I used for the iPad to display on a Samsung Galaxy S3. I cannot locate anything in the other threads indicating an issue with Android. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
I have passed the issue for explorer online removing the Collector flag onto the explorer team.

For the Android issue are you logged into the app with the same account?
have you refreshed your map list?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29136[/ATTACH]

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
JadeDean
New Contributor
Holy cow, how embarassing! The phone was logged in with a nearly identical username to the one I was trying to sync with. Thank you so much for all of your help.

EDIT:
I tested out the app in our parking lot and was able to collect a point, but the program crashed twice when I tried to take a attach a picture. I sent two error reports, but wanted to post it here as well. I tried it when I returned to the office to see if it needed the wifi connection and was able to fill out the form. When it came time to attach the photo, the screen became gray with a loading circle in the middle. Going on a few minutes now and the app has not crashed yet, but it hasn't done anything either.

Another thing I noticed outside was that the iPad app displayed a numerical value for the amount of error, but the Android map did not (as far as I could tell). Am I missing it?
0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
The Android version will display the gps error in the notification tray, You should see a white or red icon when collecting, red means currently the error is higher than your threshold, white is within your threshold.  If you swipe down the drawer you'll be able to see the actual error number. 

Regarding attachments can you provide more details.  What device are you using, what version of android are you running and what app were you using to attach a photo (gallery, g+ photo etc.) or camera app.  We have seen a bug with the stock gallery app and the auto-backup folder on some devices however it looks like itst a bug with the gallery and not the collector.
0 Kudos
JadeDean
New Contributor
I am using a Samsung Galaxy 3S. The android version is 4.1.2 and I am using Collector to attach the photo.
0 Kudos
RobertBeutner
New Contributor II
I want to also report that I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.2. The app is crashing when I attempt to collect a point
and a picture. I thought I collected three points this morning where I work. I cam back into the office and none of the "points" I
thought I was collecting showed up on the map.

I created the points using the tutorial posted to the Summer 2013 ArcUser Magazine "Hands-On" section.
http://www.esri.com/esri-news/arcuser/summer-2013/create-your-own-collector-map
0 Kudos
RobertBeutner
New Contributor II
The Android version will display the gps error in the notification tray, You should see a white or red icon when collecting, red means currently the error is higher than your threshold, white is within your threshold.  If you swipe down the drawer you'll be able to see the actual error number. 

Regarding attachments can you provide more details.  What device are you using, what version of android are you running and what app were you using to attach a photo (gallery, g+ photo etc.) or camera app.  We have seen a bug with the stock gallery app and the auto-backup folder on some devices however it looks like itst a bug with the gallery and not the collector.

Paul - I can tell you that I am having issues collecting points and saving pictures to the location I am standing at. I noticed that on
Android 4.1.2 version, any pictures I attempt to take and attach to the point are *not* stored in the gallery of the phone. I took
three pictures and none of them are currently in the Android camera gallery.

I was using the on-board camera app and gallery that comes with the Samsung Galaxy S3. When I attempt to attach a photo to a point it crashes the app. Or at least the cursor turns for a really long time and does not seem to close the process. I checked back in the office and none of the points I added outside were added to the map.

Update:

Again I was using the tutorial posted to the Summer 2013 issue of ArcUser magazine. I have an organizational account and I have verified that I am logged into the app with the correct url for the AGO site for the my organization and I *think* i have properly created the map service.

Update 2:

I can verify that it is indeed the on-board camera app for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2. I have successfully collected points without taking pictures. The map in the app updated as did the online version of the app.

When I did attempt to take a picture it crashed the app upon attempting to save the image to the collected point. The image is *not* in the Android gallery. Please note - that this time the taken image is in my gallery.
0 Kudos
RobertBeutner
New Contributor II
I am using a Samsung Galaxy 3S. The android version is 4.1.2 and I am using Collector to attach the photo.

A work around might be to:

1. Take the photo and post it to Google Drive
2. Download the Google Drive desktop app and sync it to your online account
3. Edit the collected points on the desktop in your office, by attaching the images from Google Drive desktop app.

I just tested this myself and it works pretty well as far as a work-around goes. The image that is uploaded from your Google Drive account will open in a new tab when opened from the collected point.

My Android phone camera and gallery will not work with the Collector app either.

Update - if you use this method, the image will get carried through to the basic storytelling web app and behaves similarly to the web map behavior.
0 Kudos