Location of Offline Geodatabase on iPad

06-10-2014 09:44 AM
EricLink
New Contributor III
Can anyone tell me how I can manually locate and copy the offline geodatabase stored on the iPad?  I want to be able to access this in cases where we can't get our syncing to work.  Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BrianVillers
New Contributor III
I am curious for this as well, for iOS along with Android devices.  Recently, I had an issue where my field crews were out collecting features, stopped for lunch and turned of the device, when they turned the device back on, all of the maps through collector were gone, no maps stored on device.  I was able to pull the work off of the device through windows explorer in the Arcgis_collector folder, but the data appears to be stored in one file called a GEODATABASE file,which originally I thought this was great but ArcCatalog/ArcMap nor anything will read this file.  I'd really like a way to pull this information out without having to send the crews back out to repeat their work.  In hindsight it would be wise not to turn off the devices before syncing your edits.

Thanks
Brian
Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District, Cleveland Ohio
0 Kudos
EricLink
New Contributor III
Hey villersb,  we have successfully done this with our android tablets.  Here is the process that we used.

1. Grab the geodatabase from the program files on the android tablet.  2. Next run the export xml workspace tool (Collector geodatabase) and the import xml workspace (new geodatabase).  3. Uploaded layer to AGO, and all data and attachments should be accounted for.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Now we just need the process for ios devices.:)
0 Kudos
BrianVillers
New Contributor III
Awesome! Thank you
0 Kudos
MarkWisniewski
New Contributor III
Hey villersb,  we have successfully done this with our android tablets.  Here is the process that we used.

1. Grab the geodatabase from the program files on the android tablet.  2. Next run the export xml workspace tool (Collector geodatabase) and the import xml workspace (new geodatabase).  3. Uploaded layer to AGO, and all data and attachments should be accounted for.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Now we just need the process for ios devices.:)

Ericlink,

I have copied the folder from my Android device onto my computer and tried to run the Export XML Workspace Document, but it doesn't recognise the .geodatabase file. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Ernst.
0 Kudos
BrianVillers
New Contributor III
When you have the tool open in ArcMap or ArcCatalog, drag and drop the .geodatabase file directly from windows explorer into the input of the xml tool.  It should work this way.

Thanks
Brian
0 Kudos
KeaganAllan
New Contributor III

Hi Brian and Tom,

What versions of ArcMap are you using?

Thanks,

Keagan

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
This doesn't appear to work. When I drag 68db533f-58e2-4f93-aaab-7710688df46c.geodatabase to the input data field it returns "Invalid". Is there another way to recover the contents of the offline geodatabase containing edits which fail to sync?
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Still looking for a solution to this, has anyone figured out how to recover data from a collector device when it fails on synch? How does this .geodatabase file translate to XML?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I've tried this on 10.1 and 10.2.2.

0 Kudos