Limiting Max Extent of ESRI Basemap While Online

Jump to solution
08-20-2015 01:50 PM
TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to define the maximum extent of an ESRI basemap while the Collector is still connected online. If possible I would like to be able to clip the extent to a shape and then not go above a specific extent. I currently have the initial extent set to for a specific value but the user can still zoom out and see the entire world. I am trying to avoid using tiles when connected online since offline use requires tiles (and uses up credits). I have tried to hardcode the information but so far cannot figure out how to hardcode anything aside from the items in the DOM Explorer. I am working in Portal.

Is it possible to define the max ESRI basemap extent or is this something that is not currently possible? Any assistance will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Sideloaded and Downloaded tpks are the same thing. Its pretty much describing where the tpks are coming from. You could take a tpk you downloaded in the Collector app and sideload it onto another device and there are no credits be used in this workflow. You could create a tpk in desktop and sideload that to app as well and this as well wont burn through any credits.

Where credits would come into play is if you took that tpk you generated in desktop and uploaded it to AGOL and published a tiled service. That would cost some storage and tile generation credits but from that hosted tiled service you could download tpks from if you enable the tiled service for offline use.

Currently the only way to limit the max extent in Collector is through the basemaps extent. The app has a bookmark displayed by default that is the maps default extent and could be used to help return the field user to the default extent of the map if they pan out of view.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use sideloaded TPKs or downloaded tpks in the connected maps as well as the disconnected maps. This would be one of the ways you could restrict your map. Also downloading a basemap in Collector and using Esri's default basemaps in a connected map does not charge credits. Credits are used for tile generation when created a hosted tiled service(this as well can be used to view and download in Collector as well) and for storing the tiles and tpks under your org.

ArcGIS Online | Service Credits

Russ

TiffanySelvidge1

Russell,

Thank you for the information. If you have the time, I have a few more questions. Is there a difference credit-wise between using side-loaded or downloaded TPKs? Are sideloaded and downloaded TPKs different terms for the same thing? I have searched for both terms but I cannot find anything explaining the difference between the terms.

Also, is there a way to just hard code the max extent? I know how to do that when creating my own map service with my own javascript files but Collector seems to have very limited personalized coding options available.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Sideloaded and Downloaded tpks are the same thing. Its pretty much describing where the tpks are coming from. You could take a tpk you downloaded in the Collector app and sideload it onto another device and there are no credits be used in this workflow. You could create a tpk in desktop and sideload that to app as well and this as well wont burn through any credits.

Where credits would come into play is if you took that tpk you generated in desktop and uploaded it to AGOL and published a tiled service. That would cost some storage and tile generation credits but from that hosted tiled service you could download tpks from if you enable the tiled service for offline use.

Currently the only way to limit the max extent in Collector is through the basemaps extent. The app has a bookmark displayed by default that is the maps default extent and could be used to help return the field user to the default extent of the map if they pan out of view.

TiffanySelvidge1

From what you wrote, it sounds as though it is not necessary to use the tpk as a tiled service in order to use it. When it is added to Collector as a tpk, does it not become a tiled service? Is it still considered a tpk even though it is being used as a basemap which has tiled data?

Regarding the max extent, I have set up the default extent, I just received a request that the users not be able to zoom out past a certain point. If I can set up the tpk then that will work just as well, even better since I realized I actually also need to set a minimum zoom extent.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

When it is added to Collector as a tpk, does it not become a tiled service?

Correct it does not becomea tiled service when added to the Collector app, it will be stored locally on the device.

Is it still considered a tpk even though it is being used as a basemap which has tiled data?

If you are using a basemap you downloaded or sideloaded onto the device it will be a tpk, the tpk is tiled data and being used as a basemap

Regarding the max extent, I have set up the default extent, I just received a request that the users not be able to zoom out past a certain point. If I can set up the tpk then that will work just as well, even better since I realized I actually also need to set a minimum zoom extent.

Using a tpk, or hosted tiled service for the basemap will solve the min zoom level and max extent requirements

Cheers

Russ

TiffanySelvidge1

Excellent! Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.

0 Kudos