Layers fail to load properly in Windows, but fine in iOS and Android

04-05-2017 06:17 PM
LindaKoch
New Contributor II

I recently have discovered an issue with my deployment of Collector for Windows on HP tablets.  My maps begin to load all background layers then a message comes on saying that 3 layers (the editable ones) are unavailable.  Clicking the View button, displays the Layer Errors "the following layers are not accessible"]."  when those layers are clicked, the message below the name says "the requested field was not found"  

The maps work well in iOS and Android.  Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Linda,

Are you using services published directly to ArcGIS Online (hosted feature services) or to ArcGIS Server? If ArcGIS Server, which version?

Also, if you got the REST Service URL for each of the layers that are not working in Collector for Windows, can you try to open those URLs in the Edge browser? This would rule out a possible certificate issue.

Are you on the latest version of Collector for ArcGIS (Windows)? I believe it is at 10.4.1

If you put all of the data in a file geodatabase, can you validate the features and check the geometry?

Validating features and relationships in ArcMap—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

LindaKoch
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

We are using hosted services.

When I try to open the REST Service URL, it says token required.

Certificate issue?

We are using 10.4.1.0.

The data validated.

Thanks for your help!

Linda

Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2017 4:20 AM

To: Linda Koch <lkoch@hawaii.edu>

Subject: Re: - Re: Layers fail to load properly in

Windows, but fine in iOS and Android

GeoNet <https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Layers fail to load properly in Windows, but fine in iOS and Android

reply from Dan Moore

<https://community.esri.com/people/DMoore-esristaff?et=watches.email.thread>

in Collector for ArcGIS - View the full discussion

<https://community.esri.com/message/678162-re-layers-fail-to-load-properly-in-windows-but-fine-in-ios-and-android?commentID=678162&et=watches.email.thread#comment-678162>

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not a certificate issue in that circumstance. You will need to access the rest page through ArcGIS Online since it will carry the token through that process.

Are you using an online map in Collector or are you downloading the map for offline use?

Do you still have the same issue if you add the data to a new web map?

0 Kudos
LindaKoch
New Contributor II

Okay, so….

The layers are fine in ArcGIS Online.

I created a new web map. It and the other maps that use these editable

layers are fine on the desktop with browser.

But on Collector (Windows) , it will not load the layers. New Basemap

comes up fine. Same error.

On Collector (iOS, Android) it is fine.

The map is live, but it is enabled for offline use. I am using it live.

Very strange!

Maybe it will help if I told you how I broke it.

I was experimenting with the fields that automatically record the metadata

from the receivers. It seemed to work fine recording PDOP etc. I first

worked with the iOS version, then Android. I lastly tried the Windows.

The tablet I was working on was having Bluetooth issues with a non ESRI

certified receiver. I’m not sure what the problem was. But due to time

constraints, I gave up, and then deleted the new fields from the data

layers. Then it wouldn’t work at all for the windows version. I tried

other tablets (we have 8 for staff) and no luck.

But again, fine on Android and iOS.

Thanks,

Linda

Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2017 9:24 AM

To: Linda Koch <lkoch@hawaii.edu>

Subject: Re: - Re: Layers fail to load properly in

Windows, but fine in iOS and Android

GeoNet <https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Layers fail to load properly in Windows, but fine in iOS and Android

reply from Dan Moore

<https://community.esri.com/people/DMoore-esristaff?et=watches.email.thread>

in Collector for ArcGIS - View the full discussion

<https://community.esri.com/message/678173-re-layers-fail-to-load-properly-in-windows-but-fine-in-ios-and-android?commentID=678173&et=watches.email.thread#comment-678173>

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Linda,

I think it would be best to contact ESRI Support with a case because, as a support analyst, there are some troubleshooting steps we would test that would be much more efficient through a support case.

Based on what you did, you deleted the GNSS metadata fields, then republished the data to ArcGIS Online, correct?

0 Kudos
LindaKoch
New Contributor II

Thanks for your help! I will try a couple more things and see if that resolves the issue. It was just strange that the only app affected is the Windows one.

Thanks again,

L

0 Kudos
Mary_BethParent1
New Contributor

I've had the same issues this past week, but with web maps. I found that clearing chrome's browser history, closing all tabs and reopening the map will allow the map services to load. I also had issues opening Dashboards in the web browser, and clearing chrome's browsing data also fixed that issue. I have to clear the browsing data multiple times a day, though! If you find a fix, I'd be interested in hearing it.

0 Kudos
ChrisCzerwinski1
New Contributor III

I've got the some issue going on.  However, everything was working on Windows, iOS and Android last week, but now my Windows Surface Pro Tablet will not take my maps offline.  We were having syncing issues earlier in the month, which seemed to be resolved once we opened up ESRI's suggested communication ports.  Now, on a surface pro I can only download the basemap for offline use, feature services are "not available"... so I can't even make "offline" edits to sync.  We are using ArcServer 10.3, Portal and Collector 10.4 for our workflow.

I'd be interested in learning a work around for this, as our field staff are mostly equipped with a windows device.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chris,

Are you on Collector 10.4 or 10.4.1?  10.4.1 is the latest for Windows and you should upgrade to that when possible.

Are you using versioned or archived data for offline use?

FAQs—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos