KML in Collector

Jump to solution
04-16-2015 09:12 PM
GregConiglio
New Contributor III

Hello!  Is there an issue with displaying KML files on Collector?  The documentation seems to suggest they are supported.

I have a user in our organization that uploaded his own KML files.  He then took a map I created, saved his own copy, and added his KML files.  They show up fine in ArcGIS Online.  But not in Collector - where they don't even show up in the Table of Contents!

Is there something else we have to do?  FWIW:  This user also received a zipped shapefile from a client and added that to the map too.  Those show up fine in Collector.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidChambers1
New Contributor III

Greg, no problem. At this point in time it doesn't look like iOS devices support KML.  Toggle the 'Viewing Android | iOS' button on this help doc:

Supported data—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

If you need to use the KML data type (android only) it looks like there may be a workaround for getting KMLs in Collector via Add > Add Layer From Web > A KML File but I haven't had the chance to test it yet.  Let me know if you have an Android device to test on!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidChambers1
New Contributor III

Hi Greg, 

KML layers not showing up in web maps consumed via Collector (Android) is a known issue and has been documented. 

NIM101060 - KML in Collector

In the meantime you will have to use a different supported format (as you mentioned) or publish the data as a feature service. 

GregConiglio
New Contributor III

Thanks David!  I wasn't aware of this.  The thing is though we are using Collector on an iPad.  I hope the bug NIM101060 doesn't extend beyond just Androids now?

0 Kudos
DavidChambers1
New Contributor III

Greg, no problem. At this point in time it doesn't look like iOS devices support KML.  Toggle the 'Viewing Android | iOS' button on this help doc:

Supported data—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

If you need to use the KML data type (android only) it looks like there may be a workaround for getting KMLs in Collector via Add > Add Layer From Web > A KML File but I haven't had the chance to test it yet.  Let me know if you have an Android device to test on!