Issues with collector after 19.1.0 update

06-26-2019 06:14 PM
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Our iOS devices updated to Collector 19.1.0 build 2666 yesterday.  Today, we noticed several issues using the application with a Leica GG04+ running on a State VRS system.  The iOS devices were running on 12.3.0, however, we are in the process of updating to 12.3.1.  

The two main issues encountered were; 1) when collecting a point feature multiple points are often collected.  At one location 32 points were collected.  Users reported submitting with a rotating circle would be displayed for a very long time while collecting the point.  All points contain the exact same data in the points saved to AGOL.  2) Collector also stopped reporting Altitude values in the AGOL data submitted and points were not collected to the accuracy indicated for some points.  Sample data can be provided from today’s data.

As noted, currently updating iOS to most recent version and checking GPS firmware to also confirm most recent.   Anyone else noted this issue?

8 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

After updating to the newest iOS 12.3.1 and insuring the most recent firmware is installed on the GPS we are still receiving periodic duplicate data points.  We have not seen the loss of altitude data again.  Putting a ticket in with ESRI.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Lance,

I understand that you're logging a support request, but I have a few questions for you:

- Did this behavior only start happening after having upgraded Collector to 19.1.0 from the previous 19.0.1 version?

- How many iOS+Leica GG04+ setups are running in the field?

- How often has this happened so far?

- Can you walk me through the steps the field users perform when capturing data in the field? I also have a Leica GG04+ and would like to try to reproduce this issue on my end.

- Is this an online or an offline workflow? i.e. are they performing a sync?

- Just for clarification, you're current only experiencing issue 1 above and no longer 2. Is that correct?

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Kevin, Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, this issue started immediately after the update was installed on the iPads and only a few duplicate record were noted in the prior two months of data.  Unfortunately, auto update was enabled on the devices it installed the evening of the 6/25.

We only have one Leica unit but use multiple iDevices depending upon what inspections are being performed.  The issue has been noted on both.  They are iPad (5th generation) now running iOS 12.3.1. Zeno Connect is version 3.1.0.1383 dated 11/15/2018 and Leica GG04+ firmware v7.500 on the GPS.  As noted, Collector is version 19.1.0, build 2666, that was updated to this version the evening of the 25th from I believe version 19.0.1.

Currently we are collecting only point features to multiple published feature services on AGOL.  The user locates a feature I the field, positions the GPS and presses the "+" button.  Depending upon the map, the user may need to select from various features and populate needed attributes.  The user then presses submit.  This is where they have reported, on occasion, submit will take an unusually long time with a rotating circle.  Once we have checked these points on AGOL we have found multiple points have been collected for a single submit all with the same attributes.

These are online workflows that have been in use since April.  All data is collected and updated real-time without the use of sync.

Since yesterday, we have not seen second item again but have stopped collection except for a small test this morning to see if updating the iOS resolved the issue.  

Please see attached an Excel sheet with data from two of our feature classes for this week.  The duplicate records are highlighted in yellow and the orange are were the altitude values dropped off yesterday that also includes repeated data.  Note, there is only one repeated point prior to 6/25 compared to the substantial increase 6/26 and after.  The only change was updating to Collector 19.1.0.

Case has been submitted to ESRI - Number 02353057

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you for all that great information Lance. I am going to apply this information to try and reproduce this issue on my end.

Also I will sync up with the analyst you're working with to try and prevent dual efforts.

Another variable in this equation is that ArcGIS Online was also recently updated this week as well, which might also be contributing to this behavior. 

At this point, my assumption is that whatever is causing this issue has nothing to do with the version of iOS or the receiver directly. 

I hope to get outside between today and tomorrow to test this out, but I will follow-up with my results.

If I cannot reproduce this issue using my data, would you be able to share a map with me to test against? I don't suspect it's data related, but this would just be another variable to remove. 

Thanks

-Kevin

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Kevin 

Per ESRI Customer Support request, we created two new feature services, one using ArcGIS Pro and the other using ArcGIS Desktop 10.7. We then tested both of these by collecting about 100 points in each. No duplicate data points were noted in either set of points collected. We also collected about 100 points in one of the feature services we had previous issues with. Again no duplicate points were collected.

Was a change made to AGOL that might have addressed this issue?

We will try collecting field points again starting Monday to see if the issue is persisting.

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Kevin Burke

The issue is still persisting.  We plan on backing up the data collected to date and republishing the feature service from ArcGIS Pro as an additional test.  I did make the map and feature services available to you through a share on AGOL under the user account provided by ESRI Customer Support.  Please feel free to collect data to this map if needed for testing.

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

One additional note, the features we are collecting points for is published to AGOL using the NAD_1983_2011_StatePlane_Ohio_North_FIPS_3401_Ft_US coordinate system.

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Still working through this issue.  Republished the feature service using a new GDB and ArcGIS Pro 2.4.0.  Created a new map for collector and tested again.  Still receiving the periodic multiple points being submitted and a have also seen the lose of Altitude values and RTK corrections being posted to AGOL from Collector.  However, when the loss of the information was noted the Zeno Connect app and GPS appeared to be functioning correctly but this information in Collector and submitted to AGOL was inaccurate.

We are going to try another iDevice on Friday to eliminate one other possible source of the issue.

0 Kudos