is there a way in Collector to have today's date added as an attribute to each collected feature?

08-12-2016 02:16 PM
ChristopherBenson
New Contributor II

In Collector, I can create a date field so when field users collect a feature, they can enter a date.  Is there a way to automate this process, so today's date is entered automatically as an attribute for each feature that is collected?

Chris

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

If you enable edit tracking for the feature, several fields will be created and automatically updated - Creation Date, Creator, EditDate and Editor.  When your users collect a feature, the EditDate will show the time (usually in UTC) the feature was last edited and who the user was that did the edit.

ChristopherBenson
New Contributor II

Thanks Randy.

Chris

0 Kudos
JayRiester1
New Contributor III

Randy,

Thank you for the helpful information.  Good to know that "Creator and Editor" are tracked too.

Previously I was just using the GNSS Metadata - ESRIGNSS_FixDateTime filed name.

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/ios/create-maps/gps-config-metadata-storage.htm

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

A clarification.  As I mentioned, with ArcGIS Online the time is typically stored as UTC.  However, Collector or a web browser will use its settings to display the time/date as local time.  If you download the data as a file geodatabase, you may need to do a time conversion to get local time.

ChristopherBenson
New Contributor II

Randy,

Thanks for the time clarification.

Chris

0 Kudos