Is There a Limit to Collector Buttons?

Jump to solution
09-07-2021 03:43 PM
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

When using Collector, is there a limit on how many buttons can be used to collect data in the field? I have several workflows where dozens if not more than a hundred or so questions may be desired/required and am seeking information on collector's capabilities.

Thanks & God bless,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be a hard limit, since it should be based on the number of fields you have on your feature class. However, having 100 questions is a lot for the field worker, even if they don't see all of them, and they might not be very happy with you.

Depending on what exactly you're trying to capture and how you're trying to capture it, Survey 123 opened from within Collector might be the way to go instead, since you can get rid of intermediate questions in the final result of your survey. Field Maps's smart forms are not quite there yet, although they are definitely an upgrade from Collector, namely in creating conditional visibility.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be a hard limit, since it should be based on the number of fields you have on your feature class. However, having 100 questions is a lot for the field worker, even if they don't see all of them, and they might not be very happy with you.

Depending on what exactly you're trying to capture and how you're trying to capture it, Survey 123 opened from within Collector might be the way to go instead, since you can get rid of intermediate questions in the final result of your survey. Field Maps's smart forms are not quite there yet, although they are definitely an upgrade from Collector, namely in creating conditional visibility.

GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @AlfredBaldenweck , that's good to know. The question count has to deal with required questions as asked by the field user team I am working with; it is cumbersome to have so many questions but the project requires it and the users met with me to not only review but also to add questions to the original count in the draft 🙂 . I've gone back and forth between projects using Survey123 and Field Maps/Collector apps depending on the app's role in each project. It's definitely pushing the limits on both for work load and question count, even with streamlining the volume is growing with time.

Many thanks, that helps a lot!

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos